Logo

Honda 130 midsection whirring

SharkManDave

My 2003 Honda 130 has a whirring noise in the midsection regardless of whether the engine is in neutral or not. Is there a midsection bearing for the driveshaft and if so how do you change it ? Are there additional parts in addition to the bearing itself ?

Hi,
I tried to get you a part number but I couldn't find a listing for a mid shaft bushing for that outboard.

Can you post your frame number?

In older Hondas, these mid-shaft bearings were notorious for failing and in some cases even eating a hole in the front of the mid-shaft cowling. There are several videos on the Internet showing how to change them out, but most deal with the BF 225. I suspect that the BF 130 is not much different. Here is one of the videos from my files.

I just wonder if this even has a bushing since I can't find one in the parts catalog.

You may be forced to pull the gear case with shaft (good opportunity to do water pump maintenance btw) and inspect to see if you can find an area that's been contacting/rubbing.

Bushing part number 40210-ZW1-710. I'm assuming it's a 25" shaft. I would replace on a 130, thinner shaft so bush maitains stability under high torque, leaving it out could result in top shaft seal leaking

Thanks for posting that part number Ian....it was driving me crazy.
Now that I know the part number and see it in the application list, I  still can't find it on a parts page. So, still driving me crazy!
Oh well, at least he's got it now so I will have to settle down.

I'm wrong, it is on boats.net

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907_050509_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_050509_Samsung Internet.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 6
Hand slapping forehead!!
I just wasn't smart enough to look under gear case heading.
Thanks Ian for clarifying.
Another lesson learned.

Back