Hello,
I'm new here and have never posted on a forum. I need some ideas and really hope somebody can help. I just bought a 1990 Sea Ray, raw water cooled, Alpha 1 Gen sterndrive, carburetor, and in very nice shape but it does run hot. The engine was replaced in 2010 with a Mercruiser remanufactured engine which starts and runs perfectly. I've only had it on muffs, not on the water. The temp gauge did not work but I have since replaced it and the sending unit. I have been using an IR temp gun and the manifold risers got up to about 300 degrees and the engine over 200!! Launch water is over an hour away so I'm trying to make sure to eliminate an overheating problem without putting it in the water. I have read some old threads on this same subject and made some changes.
I have changed the raw water lift pump in the lower unit, only the top half and impeller and not the base. The impeller was incredibly bad and the case was melted. The alignment tube was badly distorted. The gasket mating surface between the two halfs of the pump was a bit messed up from the top half melting so much. Now I'm wondering if I should have also replaced the bottom half of the pump......
I changed the 160 thermostat, it worked fine in boiling water, to a 140 thermostat.
I removed and inspected the exhaust risers and they looked very clean like they had never been in salt water, cleaned off what little corrosion there was, no cracks, reinstalled with open gaskets which is what came off of them. The exhaust flappers are intact and there is exhaust coming out the middle of the prop - no water though.
Replaced the engine water circulating pump. Old one seemed okay on visual inspection so no obvious issues. I was also hoping that replacing the circulating pump would solve the high pitch whining but it didn't. I can't seem to narrow down where that whining is coming from even with my stethoscope??
Any suggestions and/or ideas would be very much appreciated. I'm happy to send any pictures or additional information.
Thanks!
Cliff
I'm new here and have never posted on a forum. I need some ideas and really hope somebody can help. I just bought a 1990 Sea Ray, raw water cooled, Alpha 1 Gen sterndrive, carburetor, and in very nice shape but it does run hot. The engine was replaced in 2010 with a Mercruiser remanufactured engine which starts and runs perfectly. I've only had it on muffs, not on the water. The temp gauge did not work but I have since replaced it and the sending unit. I have been using an IR temp gun and the manifold risers got up to about 300 degrees and the engine over 200!! Launch water is over an hour away so I'm trying to make sure to eliminate an overheating problem without putting it in the water. I have read some old threads on this same subject and made some changes.
I have changed the raw water lift pump in the lower unit, only the top half and impeller and not the base. The impeller was incredibly bad and the case was melted. The alignment tube was badly distorted. The gasket mating surface between the two halfs of the pump was a bit messed up from the top half melting so much. Now I'm wondering if I should have also replaced the bottom half of the pump......
I changed the 160 thermostat, it worked fine in boiling water, to a 140 thermostat.
I removed and inspected the exhaust risers and they looked very clean like they had never been in salt water, cleaned off what little corrosion there was, no cracks, reinstalled with open gaskets which is what came off of them. The exhaust flappers are intact and there is exhaust coming out the middle of the prop - no water though.
Replaced the engine water circulating pump. Old one seemed okay on visual inspection so no obvious issues. I was also hoping that replacing the circulating pump would solve the high pitch whining but it didn't. I can't seem to narrow down where that whining is coming from even with my stethoscope??
Any suggestions and/or ideas would be very much appreciated. I'm happy to send any pictures or additional information.
Thanks!
Cliff








