Logo

Jabsco oil change pump

sea bee

Have never used my old Jabsco Porta-Quick oil changer on my 2003 Honda 225's and was thinking of giving it a try the end of this season. My thoughts are, I can change the oil a few days before the boat is pulled and can get the oil hot much easier while the boat is in the water. The new oil will also lubricate the system during the 3 mile ride to the marina. Any thoughts pro or con?

Well, OK. But when you go to change that D**M oil filter, you're still going to have a mess. I've never been successful at pulling the filter without having oil go all over the place, and I've tried every trick I've heard of.

Open to any new suggestions.

I use a 1 litre plastic bottle, hold upside down and cut the top 1/4 away. Loosen the filter without breaking the seal, tilt as high as possible so that you an reach the filter, hold the modified bottle so the long side is under the catch casting below the filter, unscrew and allow filter to drop into the bottle and keep bottle there until oil has stopped dripping. Do this carefully and you won't spill a drop.��

No problem doing that, we use oil extractors on outboards all the time

When I used the pump on the diesel inboards, I could put the suction hose on the tube where the dipstick was inserted rather than inserting a a plastic tube down into the crankcase. Doubt if that's the case with the Honda O/B but thought I would ask. Like your idea of removing the oil filter.

Be sure and fog the engine at the same time. Clean and regrease the steering tube and shoot some grease in all the other zerts. At the very least bottom drain the gearbox and top off with gearoil. If you get water you can spend the off season resealing the gearbox.

You need to use thin nylon tube that fits inside the dipstick tube inserted until it touches the bottom of the sump, you will have to make up an adaptor to connect to your extractor pump hose

Well, OK. But when you go to change that D**M oil filter, you're still going to have a mess. I've never been successful at pulling the filter without having oil go all over the place, and I've tried every trick I've heard of.

Open to any new suggestions.

Hi Bill, just one more idea, if you leave you motor tilted fully down while it is still hot 95% of the oil will gravitate back into the engine leaving the filter virtually dry within a couple of hours. So if you drain the engine when hot, that's fine but leave it a while to let the filter drain.

Jeez - never thought of doing it that way. Makes total sense. I've always pulled the filter immediately after draining the oil. I would speculate that punching a small hole in the very top of the filter would help it to drain faster. Do you agree?

For those who were confused by my explanation of a catch bottle for a BF225. Honda oil catch bottle.jpg

Back