Logo

Honda BF75A Stern Bracket Blocked by Shift-Shaft Spline

jackmanjls

New member
1997 Honda BF75A — Stern Bracket Removal

Problem: The stern bracket makes hard contact with the “Shift shaft spline” before it can move far enough to clear the 12 × 150 mm mounting studs, preventing the bracket from separating.

The lower unit, lower mounts, T&T connections and two upper nuts have been removed.

Can the shift shaft spline be removed or retracted without removing the powerhead?
 

Attachments

  • 150mm and SSB resize.jpg
    150mm and SSB resize.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 25
Hi,
I have no experience with that model so I'm definitely guessing but it looks like that shaft can be pulled out after the gearcase is removed.

Item 12 in link.


I believe #13 "stopper" just limits the spline engagement depth and doesn't hold the shafts together.

Items 14 and 11 will stay with the gearcase. It will be important to index the 3 shafts properly when going back together so, if possible, mark them. I think having the transmission in neutral before pulling the lower unit would be what's needed but, again, just guessing so that could be wrong.

Good luck.
 
Thanks. The gearcase was removed in neutral. I tried pulling the remaining shaft downward from inside the midsection. It has slight up-and-down movement, but it will not withdraw or move far enough for the upper spline to clear the stern bracket.

The labeled photo shows the upper spline making hard contact while the 150 mm mounting stud is still substantially engaged. Is this shaft normally removable downward, or is it retained at its upper end?
 
I don't think it's "secured" but I'm probably full-of-iit. All I know is that you never want to use any force until you know for sure.

I pointed out the "stopper" in the link (item 13) because, if that shaft is positively being held, it's probably there because, looking at the depiction of shift rod."A" in the link below (item 4) the snap ring (item 31) there is for holding all the stuff above it.....
...that is, I think.
Still guessing.but I'm gonna try to find out. I'll get back to you if I do.

 
jgmo...Thanks for looking into this. Here is the exact motor information:

Model: Honda BF75A
Frame/Serial number: BBAL-1002136

For clarity, this video shows the Shift Shaft B spline and the exact point where it blocks the stern bracket:

Video: SS B.mp4

The gearcase is removed, but the shaft has only slight vertical movement and will not retract far enough to clear the bracket.
 
Well, unfortunatly, I can only reiterate that I found no mention of a "mechanical attachment" for keeping that shift ROD from sliding out of the shift SHAFT splines.

I BELIEVE that the ROD should simply pull out just as the splines at the bottom disengaged when the gearcase was removed.

But...
...just as in religion, BELIEVING is not the same as KNOWING.

I just don't KNOW why that rod won't slide down and out of there because I've never pulled one out.

I'm pretty sure I have read horror stories about people causing the snap ring on the shift shaft to pop off and then having one heck of a time getting it put back on.
So, maybe that snap ring is involved in some way.

i'm very sorry I can't provide a specific answer as to what you need to do.
 
jgmo,
Thank you for taking the time to research it. Your warning about the snap ring is useful, and I won’t apply force without confirming the procedure. The rod has slight vertical movement but reaches a definite stop in both directions, so something is limiting its travel. I have also contacted an outboard salvage shop that may have the same assembly available to inspect.
 
Yeah man, I'm positive that going slow and making sure will save you some misery.

I'm looking forward to reading how you ultimately "slay this dragon" so please keep us informed about what you find.

Wish I could have been of more help with this.

Best of luck.
 
I found that the long midsection component is Boats.net item #12, “Rod A, Shift,” part 24320-ZW1-900. Item #13 is a stopper ring fitted at its upper end. Could this stopper ring explain why the rod has slight vertical movement but will not withdraw downward after the gearcase is removed?

1788973281476.png
 
On closer inspection, I found what appears to be a circlip/stopper ring immediately above the splined end of Shift Rod A, as shown in the attached photo. Could this be item #13, the “Ring, Stopper,” shown in the parts diagram?


Is this ring supposed to be removed to allow Shift Rod A to drop downward, or is the rod intended to pull through with the ring still installed? My concern is removing the ring and then being unable to reinstall it from this limited-access area.
 

Attachments

  • Shift A circ clip_resize.jpg
    Shift A circ clip_resize.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 21
I initially pointed out that "stopper" (item 13) in my first reply. You must have not seen that I think that ring is to limit how far the shift rod inserts into the shift shaft and has no function to hold the two together.
 
I see your comment in the first reply:
I believe #13 "stopper" just limits the spline engagement depth and doesn't hold the shafts together.

I didn't miss it but it didn't register as I looked at the circlip.

It's the old saying: "I see says the blind man":mad:
 
I'm out of options on this.

The only fix I can see is to go into the powerhead and remove the stopper (#13) on shift rod A (#12).
That is way beyond the scope of what I want to do.

Before I throw the towel in on this one and do a repower is there anyone (within this forum) you could suggest that I could message and ask about this issue?
 
I would like to know what member iang6766 has to say about this. He own's a shop in Australia and has worked on many Hondas. He helps people here often.

I've actually been hoping he would chime in on several cases that are open but it's his busy season right now.

Hopefully he can take the time to answer a private message from you.
 
I'm fairly sure that #13 stopper ring is just a tension clip(as used on other models) to hold the shift rod A in place while installing the gearcase.
If you attach a pair of pliers or vice grips to shift rod A & tap on the pliers with a hammer the shift rod should pop out.
When reinstalling it ensure the flat section of the spline is correctly aligned. I think the flat faces forward when in neutral.

Bob
 
BobMech thanks for your contribution.
If this works it's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was looking at possible repower and that's $$$.
I bought the motor new and there's absolutly nothing wrong with it...runs like a raped ape;)

If the rodA comes out does the clip get dislodged or does it stay with the rod?
 
Success—Shift Rod A is out!

You were exactly right: stopper #13 is a spring clip that holds the rod in place during gearcase removal. I levered the rod downward with long-nose pliers, and it popped free without removing the powerhead.

Thank you, and thanks to jgmo for continuing to help and directing me. You saved me from an unnecessary powerhead removal—and possibly an unnecessary repower. I truly appreciate everyone’s time and help.
 
The Shift Rod A is ready to be put back.

Should I be able to snap the rod back in or do I have to do something special?

Any ideas or comments
 
Just put some grease on the spline & make sure the flat on the spline is lined up. It should tap in with not much force.
Do not use excessive force. If you do, you could dislodge the circlip in your above pic dated 9 Sept which would then dislodge the selector gears above.

Bob
 
Yeah, bobmech's warning is appropriate. I've seen a few posts about people using too much "oomph" to either remove or install the shaft and, as a result, dislodged the upper circlip and then cry the blues trying to get the gear quadrants lined up and put the clip back on.

BUT...
...since it came out easily, it should go back in easily so there's no reason to be too worried as long as you line it up and tap-a tap-a-tap it back in.

Good luck
 
For future reference/documentation regarding the “flat side” of Shift Rod A:

The flat is located on the upper splined end of the rod, directly beside the end of the orange mark in the photo. It is not a conventional flat machined along the shaft; it appears to be one spline that has been machined away.

This missing spline creates a keyed male section that must align with the corresponding female flat inside the powerhead during installation. Therefore, Shift Rod A can only fully engage when these two flats are aligned. Do not force the rod if it will not slide into place—rotate it until the keyed sections line up.

1790290247057.png
 
Back
Top