Logo

Help with plug removal

dawgs

Regular Contributor
Just bought this boat in August. Motor is 2003 Honda 225 4 stroke. Today I winterized the motor but ran into a problem. 5 of the 6 plugs and coils came out fine. I couldn't remove The port side lower plug or coil because the lower cowling is about 1/2 inch higher then the starboard side and it gets in the way when removing the lower plug. Seems strange that one side is lower than the other. Other than removing the cowling......how can I remove that plug?

Yep - you've got to remove the port side lower cowling to get to that plug. I also highly recommend that before putting the plug back in that you coat the threads with a very THIN layer of marine grease - the high heat resistant type is preferred. This will prevent the plugs from seizing to the head. The plugs should be checked and threads re-greased every 200 hours or every season, whichever comes first.

I'm not sure what you mean by "indexed." All the plugs are the same. They should be NGK IZFR6F11. Don't use any other plugs. The "I" stands for iridium tipped.

I think he means do the plugs need to be gapped. No, the irridium plugs SHOULD be pre-set right out of the box. It is always a good practice to check them though and they CAN be properly gapped if the correct tool is used to move the ground strap. However, the irridium tips are VERY brittle and delicate so you must not apply any force to those.

You may use the tool that the guy in that video uses to CHECK the gap on your plugs but DO NOT use it to SET the gap on irridium plugs or you will likely ruin them.

You will note in the video that there is a fairly wide gap specification range so if the plugs you get are all within the spec for your engine and they are ALL THE SAME, there is no need to make any adjustment to the gaps.

Good luck.

No not at all.-----------------Indexing------ of plugs means that you install them by trial and error.----------You want the ground electrode to all point a certain way.-----------Important on some direct injection motors.

Indexing, as racerone said, is used on the Evinrude Ficht and I am pretty sure on the Etec's. Hondas do not need to be indexed.

Mike

Well, I guess my age a diesel background is showing...:~).
Wouldn't they come with a hand full of special washers if they needed to be "indexed"?

Moroso sells a package that makes all the extra plugs unnecessary. Glad I don't have to deal with THAT!

Well, while we're on the subject....I've learned a thing er two from you chawk! And, I'm on a couple or three forums but I read more and learn more from this one than any of the rest.
AND, as an added bonus......there are almost NO peeing contests here. Quite unlike many of the others I'm on or visit!

I wonder if Dawgs got his plugs r&r'd?

Back