Logo

Help!!! Frustrated with a no power issue on my 200

Skooter

Advanced Contributor
Last summer I was 40 miles out and one of my twin 200s just shut off. From that point one I have not been able to get any power what so ever to the engine...none at all...no lights on 4 light panel..no tilt/trim..but I did have voltage to starter. I could jump the starter with screw driver but that is all. I am Fu#$%^& frustrated and already got quotes on 2 new Suzuki's, but I can't justify the cost when I know it's something really easy to solve. I replaced the main harness from the key back to the engine harness. I have checked the main fuse and all the fuses in fuse block. I have also ran a 12 battery power source straight to positive cable on starter...still nothing..I need to pick u guys brains here one this.

2003 model, and I forgot to mention that I did swap out the ECM with a known working unit, the starter and the fuel pump relay

Check for power on the alternator main stud, when you check, if you find there is none, then try grounding your test wire back to the battery, you may be chasing the positive side when you might have a bad earth. Do not not use a multi meter or LED test light for this, use a standard test light with a filament light bulb because the multi meter will pick up the smallest current draw and may tell you there is power when in fact there is a very high resistance in the circuit. Then check from the positive on the battery battery back to the engine block to ensure you have a good ground. If you have no power to the alternator then check back to your main 150amp fuse. Let me know how you go.

Just checking the wiring diagram again, I am almost certain you have a bad earth or ground, this is indicated by the fact that you say the trim does not work which is fed directly from the battery and you seem sure you have power at the starter motor.

Good point guys. I have been chasing the positive..I have cleaned all the ground connections, but maybe in the hull there may be some corrosion?? Now I have an idea to use my welding cable and run directly to battery to the ground..if there is an issue with bad cable then this idea should work.

Last edited:
A pair of good auto jumper cables will work. Battery positive to positive alternator lug, battery ground to one of the lift lugs on the engine (paint scraped off.) Be sure to bypass the battery switch.

Back