Logo

Easy way to clear out water tell tale.

bruceb58

I have a BF30 on a pontoon. The boat is in the water at a dock. Yesterday the tell tale went from a stream, to a drip then nothing. I have completed a seasonal maintenance two months ago with new impeller, housing and gaskets as well as changing lower end gear lube, oil change, filter, thermostat. Six months ago, full carb clean and rebuild as well as new fuel lines, water separator and fuel tank.

Didn't think the motor was overheating but used trolling motor to get back to dock.

I tried weedeater string...nope
Tried single thin wire...nope..

Took a cheap one gallon sprayer. Pumped it up with nothing in it but air.
Removed the wand right after the on/off handle.
Stuck the telltale hose in the on/off handle and turned it on.
I could hear the air whooshing through and then bubbles came out in the water from the front of the lower unit right below the water line.

Started the motor and have a good stream again.

maybe luck, who knows, but I'll take it..lol

hope this helps :)

Agree that's an excellent idea. Never thought about doing it that way. Necessity is certainly the mother of invention.

Weed eater line doesn't always work and, when it does work, often the results are temporary and you have to keep doing it because the line simply pushes the blockage back into the inner water passage.

Maybe this technique will work EVERYTIME! We can only hope!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Next time put some saltaway in the spray bottle and shoot some in the telltale hose to dissolve the crap in the engine. Then when you start it it just flushes it out? That is a good idea for engines you cant put in a barrel and do a good flush.

Back