I don't know about where anyone else lives, but where I live, here in Beaufort, S. C. an outboard motor mechanic has a license to steal. If you try to deal with one, you will lose! I, myself, and many, many people I know have countless horror stories of being screwed by them. My brand new 20 ft Center Console's electronics quit so I took it back to get checked out. Result! $400+ rewiring charge. Dropped off a Mercury gas hose to have a new end crimped on. Result! $46-which I refused to pay! 50 HP Merc. starter quit. Result! $400 to replace starter with new one which I later found to be not new but old one off of a sunk motor. Went back to the mechanic who did this but no longer works at the dealership, when it quit again, so I could vent, and he walks over to the motor, takes his fist and hits the wiring plug in on the side of the motor,and says "Try it now." I turn the key and it turns over. He says with a smirk, "That's what we used to call the $200 knock down at the dealership."
My present dilemma- I have a 1980 25 HP Evinrude that I've had since new. It needs a carb rebuild kit installed,which I have. The motor can't have more than minimal value but I can't afford a new one. $500 to fix it is ridiculous. Does anyone know where I can get a video tutorial or perhaps an instructional CD on how to do this? Some good ones are on You Tube but I need a blow by blow or step by step. I've rewired it and replaced the water pump thanks to this forum. Social Security is my only income so I've had to learn to fix stuff myself. Thanks in advance.
My present dilemma- I have a 1980 25 HP Evinrude that I've had since new. It needs a carb rebuild kit installed,which I have. The motor can't have more than minimal value but I can't afford a new one. $500 to fix it is ridiculous. Does anyone know where I can get a video tutorial or perhaps an instructional CD on how to do this? Some good ones are on You Tube but I need a blow by blow or step by step. I've rewired it and replaced the water pump thanks to this forum. Social Security is my only income so I've had to learn to fix stuff myself. Thanks in advance.

