Logo

Can fuel pumps on BF50A be serviced or are they just replaced?

mitchbuck

Contributing Member
I did a search but could not find an answer. I have a 2003 BF50A and I was wondering if the fuel pumps can be serviced at all or if they are just replaced. I see screws on the cover that look like they can be removed, but I don't see anything about taking them apart in the Shop Manual. On my old 90hp Mercury 2stroke you could take the pump apart and replace the diaphragm and gaskets, but I don't see any gaskets or parts on Boats.net for the fuel pump. Just wondering if you can take them apart to clean or if they should not be touched.

Last edited:
Hi Mitchbuck

There may actually be a kit for the pump but I don't see it on boats.net either. But take a look again at the parts diagram focusing on the fuel pump. Item 11 in the link below.

If we had the actual Honda parts manual, we could utilize their page referencing system to find page E 14. E 14 is printed just above the depiction of the fuel pump and indicates there are additional parts or data on page E 14. So, if there is a kit (again, I don't know that there is) it might be listed on that page. But boats.net parts look up doesn't completely list or utilize the Honda parts manual system.

This is a case for an authorized dealer. Although, hondadude can give you an answer if he's watching. This is probably the busiest time for his shop and it might be taking him away from answering everyone's questions right now.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF50A3 LRA/CYLINDER HEAD/parts.html

Heck, Jimmy. I'd see that as a challenge and tear down the old pump to see what went wrong and whether it could actually be rebuilt. I strongly suspect that fuel pump is not unique to Honda's.

Well, that's what I would probably do since they provided access and all but at $75 it's not a huge lift to buy a new one and give guy's like Mike a chance to make a living.

Anyway, if I were to recommend to anyone here to try that I would need to know the pressure and volume specs so I could convey how to test it first. In all actuality though, you should perform the test prior to throwing a new at it.

But, sadly, I'm guessing since it's carbed, there probably are no P/V specs in the shop manual anyway.

Back