Logo

BF60 Moisture in engine oil

Richo97

New member
Hi everyone,
I have a 2014 Honda bf60. I have just recently completed my annual service on it and have noticed the engine oil looking milky once drained into the pan.
Once I removed my filler cap I noticed this sludge build up inside of it.
Also another little indicator I noticed is this weird markings above the oil line on the dip stick, guessing from salt water Vapor potentially?

Would I be right based off of this that water definitely has somehow entered my oil system?
And if so has anyone experienced this issue and may know where it has potentially come from and what was the resolution and outcome for the outboard?

I have heard there is a seal that commonly goes on bf60s around this age that can let water into the oil?

Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5988.jpeg
    IMG_5988.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5985.jpeg
    IMG_5985.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5986.jpeg
    IMG_5986.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 7
Hi,

I honestly don't know. I have never worked on a Honda 60.

That does look like water intrusion though and it doesn't look good to me.

When I was first reading your post, I was thinking "maybe a cold running engine due to a stuck open thermostat". But then I saw the pictures you posted and it looks like too much water for that to be the cause.

Again, I have no idea what the reason is but just wanted to point out that there is a close intersection of water seals to oil pump where the mainshaft comes up through the oil case and mount case. See items 2 and 28 in the link below:


IF that's where water is entering, I imagine the repair would require a major tear down with possibly the need to inspect/replace the oil pump along with other components like bearings that have been effected by the contaminated oil.

The only accurate advice I could offer you would be don't run it again if you want to save it. To which, I imagine, you say "no duh dude".

Sorry for the glum take on things but it's how I see it. I hope I'm wrong and it isn't as bad as that.
 
Back
Top