Logo

BF225 alternator smoking

gentilebrian

Contributing Member
Well yet another issue. I had the covers off the motors and was spraying down the boat and some spray got onto my port alternator and smoke started coming out. Motor hasn't ran in days so it was cold. I turned off the power and smoke stopped. Turned it back on and smoke started and then stopped. No more smoke. I run it and its not charging. Now being a new to me boat and not had it in the water yet it may have never worked. Looking online it looks like its north of $800 for a new one. Do they sell rebuilt ones like for cars.

You're probably not going to be able to find a rebuilt "off the shelf" but if you live in or near a large metropolitan area you should be able to find an independent automotive electrical repair shop that could rebuild yours for you.

If they balk at taking it on because they can't access parts, direct them to boats.net. They stock pretty much anything they would need to replace in the alternator.

Another way to go might be used on ebay or a sell it site like Craigslist.

Good luck.

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-90A-ALT...ash=item19d4b4f8cc:g:FfEAAOSwZVlXmQYW&vxp=mtr
Pull al wire connectors apart and clean with electrical cleaner and put back together with dielecric grease. Sand all grounds metal to metal and inspect the wires fro burnt, melted, bare or broken wires. Dont assume it was the water and confirm it is working properly as quickly as possible. It wont take long to burn up the new one if not wired properly. check for any direct shorts before you connect the battery.

Last edited:
Thanks Kimcrwbr. I bought the one on Ebay and it worked perfectly. All wiring looks good. The smoke was coming from inside the alternator so I should be good to go.

Back