Logo

Bf-150 How to Remove Driveshaft

ColinW

Hello all,
I’m hoping get some insight into the step(s) to remove the driveshaft from a ‘04 150hp. I’m changing the motor from a 20” to a 25”.
The lower unit is off.
Water pump housing is off.
Removed the two 10mm bolts around the driveshaft.
Now I’m stumped about the next step. The housing around the driveshaft seems to go way down and not easy to remove.
I’d appreciate any ideas.

I think I found the solution. Looking at boats.net and the part under the water pump housing, there is a seal that gets pried up. With all of the corrosion, it was tough to see the pry tabs near the 10mm bolt holes. I plan to drench it in PB blaster and Free All and add a little heat and try to pry it up.

You need a special tool to remove the bearing retainer under the water pump base. You then need to remove the shift shaft, then the propshaft holder and propshaft. You can then remove the pinion nut and withdraw the drive shaft. Just be aware that you will need to reshim the drive shaft bearings when you change them over

It sounds like you're trying to do this without the shop manual. Although sure, it's completely possible, I wouldn't advise it if you want it to go well and last.
As Ian says, the transmission will need to be reshimmed and that alone dictates you have the info in the manual to get it right.

The link above shows the "stack' of things you'll be disturbing when you remove the retainer nut (item 21)to free the main shaft. Plus, it's a good illustration of the shift shaft on the left of the page. Pay particular attention to the position of the little pin at the bottom of the shift shaft so you don't install it on the wrong side of the prop shaft or you'll be doing that job twice when it won't shift

The link below is a good illustration of the all stuff you'll be removing before getting to the main shaft retainer nut.
Note the 4 selective shims (item 17) you will need to choose from after accurately measuring for transmission gear lash. You need the manual to get that done properly.

You can order the manual here:

You are good at taking photos so take plenty during disassembly.

This is more of a job than it might seem when first considered but with the manual and your determination to get it done, I look forward to seeing your post update about how great it runs.

Good luck.

Thanks Jgmo and Ian for the help.
I found a manual via eBay download ($15).
The water seal housing pops right off but mine is pretty corroded. I spoke with a local Honda repair shop who said I may be in for a battle to remove the water seals if there is corrosion. He said it may be easier to get a good used lower unit with a 25” shaft instead of fighting it. I may do that. I’m not super good with detailed stuff like shimming the
I’ll remove the water seal housing and check for corrosion below. My housing is pretty pitted so we’ll see. I’ll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Update:
I cracked the water pump housing mount sidewall on lower unit trying to pry the water seal housing. Maybe not too bright on my part or the wall was weakened by corrosion.
Anyhow, I’m on the lookout for a new lower with a 25” shaft.

Back