Logo

2008 225hp Gear Box Failure

wchetwode

Has anybody had problems with a 225 gear box failure? Just had it go today on a 2008 model. Forward gear. Going along at 5000RPM and it just jammed and we stopped pretty quick. We had same problem last year?? Should be under warranty but just interested. Thanks

Re: 225 Gear Box Failure

I haven't seen any traffic on on this forum or others on that problem with the bigger Hondas. Suspect you got a lemon of a lower unit. Would push hard for a total replacement through your dealer.

I work on the small engines and don't have any first hand knowledge of the 225 but I agree with CHawk. trying to rebuild a gear case after a catastrophic failure is like polishing a turd. You end up with a real shiny turd. Your second failure indicates a possible alignment problem and should warrant a new gear assembly complete with mainshaft. Expect some push back though as this is a costly piece of hardware. Be prepared to assert yourself if you've done your maintenance and due diligence. Good luck.

Great Thanks Guys. Maintenance has been done by dealer so should be OK. Going to drain oil tomorrow just to see if there are any shavings!!!

If you are going to take it to a dealer, let them drain it, so they can see the gearlube and the metal pieces. It will help them communicate the problem to Honda more clearly. Otherwise, they will only be going on your word and description (which I am sure is good) but Honda does not know that.

The only failures I have seen so far on the 225's so far are due to some sort of impact. What actually caused the forward gear to jam? Water in gearcase and bearings seized? The forward gear lost a tooth, and jammed in pinion?

Hope they cause is obvious.

Mike

On my LEMON Honda 225, I had a gear "chip" after just 1-1/2 years of ownership.
A Honda outfit near me fixed the gears. (ALL) and replaced everything per warrenty.

I got a "ticking" and couldn't figure out what it was to save my life. Called a buddy who is a Honda (non-warrenty mechanic) and he said it was the forward gear, instantly.

Yeah, mine's been a lemon for sure. Too many problems in only 4 years. If it was a Honda car...it would be a different story.

From what I gathered from the dealership, they've done a few. As told by the mechanic, who fixed mine.

Mine is a 2006 225

On my LEMON Honda 225, I had a gear "chip" after just 1-1/2 years of ownership.
A Honda outfit near me fixed the gears. (ALL) and replaced everything per warrenty.

I got a "ticking" and couldn't figure out what it was to save my life. Called a buddy who is a Honda (non-warrenty mechanic) and he said it was the forward gear, instantly.

Yeah, mine's been a lemon for sure. Too many problems in only 4 years. If it was a Honda car...it would be a different story.

From what I gathered from the dealership, they've done a few. As told by the mechanic, who fixed mine.

Mine is a 2006 225
I had the ticking about an hour before in went mush and stopped dead. It was a racing engine before in the 225 Series but had only done 70 hours. Probably hardest hours of its life!! Awaiting mechanic back from hols on Monday..

If you are going to take it to a dealer, let them drain it, so they can see the gearlube and the metal pieces. It will help them communicate the problem to Honda more clearly. Otherwise, they will only be going on your word and description (which I am sure is good) but Honda does not know that.

The only failures I have seen so far on the 225's so far are due to some sort of impact. What actually caused the forward gear to jam? Water in gearcase and bearings seized? The forward gear lost a tooth, and jammed in pinion?

Hope they cause is obvious.

Mike

Just let e little oil out to see and it was glistening with metal bits. So put back ready for dealer inspection def no water in case. No Damage to casing or prop either. Must be a tooth like last time. Will let you know

Back