Logo

2006 Honda bf50a propeller assembly, nuts washers etc

eric80

Regular Contributor
I'm having some challenges on how to reassemble my propeller nuts and washers.
someone else took them off and i'm putting them back on.
the shop manual doesn't show my particular motor prop set up.
any suggestions on what goes where.
see pic for the parts I have

cheers

Attachments

• honda prop.jpg
    honda prop.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 254
You have them in the correct order but they all 3 go on the outside end of the prop. Ie prop first, splined washer, flat washer, crown nut, split pin. The crown nut should be nipped up just a little more than finger tight.

You can refer to the parts page in the link below to see how it goes. But I was wondering about the thrust washer, item #17. I don't see it in your photo. Is it possible that it was not removed?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...0A6 LRTA/PROPELLER PROPELLER SHAFT/parts.html

I bring it up because you SHOULD remove it and inspect the load bearing surfaces for any wear. It is designed to wear down so that the prop and gear case housing don't. It should be flat and smooth across both bearing surfaces and should be replaced if any sign of ridges or unevenness are there. Pay close attention, as you remove it, to how it is positioned on the shaft since it is only intended to go on one way but can easily be put on backwards.

Debris, mostly in the form of fishing line, gets wrapped up behind the thrust washer and is the #1 reason for premature prop shaft seal failure on outboards. It is a good practice (that can save you tons of money and headaches) to take the prop and washer off a few times a season and check for wear and or fishing line wrap.

Just sayin'

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back