Logo

2005 honda 225 drive shaft/gear case stuck in block

awr1

Hi,
wondered if anyone can give some advice. dropped the lower unit of and cannot get driveshaft any further of than shown in the picture. the lads in yard have tried everything to get it to move, including a hydraulic press, nothing seems to be able to get the shaft beyond this point? my questions is what could be causing shaft to be stuck where it is, if it was an issue in the block surely it wouldn't have gotten down that far. I'm thinking it could be a bearing but I'm not sure. anyone have any ideas of the problem and potential fix?
thanks in advance
87B5CDE4-952A-42A9-BEED-207641BC6E1D.jpeg

Hi,
Well, I don't know the 225 .....a guy named chawk_man on this forum is a long time 225 owner.
But having lurked here for years I do know that there's a bushing/bearing on SOME models that are infamous for causing problems.
You don't say what model you have so I will offer you the XA and the LA parts page links:

First the XA. Note items 12, 37 and 42

Now for the LA. Note that items 12, 37 and 42 are depicted but if you scroll down the description/price list they are absent. That suggests to me that they are not required pieces on that extension case.

If your case has that bushing, I'm fairly certain that is where you're hanging up.

You might want to wait until you do hear from chawk_man because he really does know what's up with the 225 and will probably have some invaluable tips for dealing with the problem.

Good luck

JGMO is likely correct. There is a mid-shaft bushing that Honda had problems with up through the middle of the 2007 model year. It did not get sufficient lubricating water on it and it would corrode and fail, sometimes destroying the entire mid-section. That bushing is held in by a C clip. However, I have no idea how you can get to it without removing the lower unit.

See the attached for more detail and watch the video to get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

The only thing I can think of is to try to move the lower unit back up a bit and spray as much lubricant up in there as you can and let it soak. If you have it, try PB Blaster. Your wores case scenario is that you may need to replace the entire mid-section. If you do, make sure that you get the updated one that allows more lubricating water to get to that bushing.

Attachments

• Midshaft Bearing.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 7
hi,
first thank you for your response. Have you ever seen or heard of this situation where the bushing causes drive shaft to become stuck o this engine? I just can't believe its is still up there after trying everything to free it, like I said we have tried everything you can think of including a hydraulic press, I really don't want to just keep putting loads of stress on the Transmission as its old and something will break soon If I don't have any other ideas. other than take the block of and see if it can be freed from the top end which I really don't want to do I have no idea. maybe try and apply heat but that will be extremely difficulty and most likely damage the mid section in the process.
thanks
JGMO is likely correct. There is a mid-shaft bushing that Honda had problems with up through the middle of the 2007 model year. It did not get sufficient lubricating water on it and it would corrode and fail, sometimes destroying the entire mid-section. That bushing is held in by a C clip. However, I have no idea how you can get to it without removing the lower unit.

See the attached for more detail and watch the video to get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

The only thing I can think of is to try to move the lower unit back up a bit and spray as much lubricant up in there as you can and let it soak. If you have it, try PB Blaster. Your wores case scenario is that you may need to replace the entire mid-section. If you do, make sure that you get the updated one that allows more lubricating water to get to that bushing.

I don't think it's stuck "in the block".

Just as YOU said in your opening statement:

"if it was an issue in the block, surely it wouldn't have gotten down that far".....agreed!

I believe it is stuck in the extension as I first pointed out.

You are going to have to remove the extension case to free it I'm afraid. I don't know how to go about that or I would share it with you. Hopefully, someone else here knows the "trick" and will explain it.

One thing I know for certain about your speculating on what further use of force will do....

....On a Honda.(and most any machine really) it will probably only cause you further misery and expense.

Wish I had better news.

Good luck.

As chawk said, this is stuck on the bushing in the extension. I had this same issue when i first got my 225s used, and it took me hours to get the lower unit off one of the engines.

Your bushing is probably chunks of brass/bronze wedged in between the drive shaft and extension case caked in corrosion byproduct.

Continue to spray generous amounts of PB blaster up into the bushing and extension around the drive shaft. See if you can get the C ring and washer out that is holding what's left of the bushing in. It may be hard to do with the drive shaft in there, but I would try. If you can do that, the drive shaft and bushing may come out all together, then you can figure out how to get the bushing off the shaft.

Back