Logo

‘86 Evinrude 70 HP - Guidance please

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I am not too sure that it would be cost effective to rebuild this, especially without reasonable experience and extremely tactful searching. Adding up parts, machining, and counting on some experienced help to come through....might be a tall task. Tim's has produced some beautiful powerheads for me, over the years. There is an awfully probable chance that there is some bearing problems here too. Operation without any lubrication is a pretty sad sentence for a 2 stroke motor, my friend.
 
Last edited:
Just showing that the WSM kit has everything to repair engine...can order from WSM in whatever size needed from .010-.040
 
Yes, thanks for the reminder. I am not too sure that it would be cost effective to rebuild this, especially without reasonable experience and extremely tactful searching. Adding up parts, machining, and counting on some experienced help to come through....might be a tall task. Tim's has produced some beautiful powerheads for me, over the years. There is an awfully probable chance that there is some bearing problems here too. Operation without any lubrication is a pretty sad sentence for a 2 stroke motor, my friend.

Thank you. I called Tim’s and they were unable to help, but recommended another guy not far from them who may be willing to rebuild it. I’ve not heard back from him yet.
 

Thanks. My thought is to have the guy who is going to bore and hone the head to tell me the exact sizes I’ll need and he said he’s willing to help in purchasing them so I get the correct parts. He was referred by a local Evinrude guy who didn’t want to do the job because of the age of the motor, but did recommend rebuilding it and said they are strong and a good year for Evinrude.
 
Call Jason and tell him Alan sent ya. He can do everything you need from boring,cleaning,parts,polishing shortblock to longblock. Uses WSM and OEM parts.

Jay’s Block Shop
3015 McMinnville Hwy.
Sparta, TN. 38583
Contact Jason White, 931-808-0814
 
Any ideas on removing a stuck flywheel??

IMG_0483.jpg

This was an interesting post ...
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?401157-Pulling-a-stuck-flywheel
 
Last edited:
All flywheels are stuck !!----They have to be or the tapers would quickly wear at 5000 RPM.-----With the proper puller and technique they come off in just seconds.-----Or hurry to your local shop to get this done.-----Cheaper than breaking tools or the flywheel.
 
That is a helpful post. Keep nut in place, but of course back it off a few turns. This helps keep threads protected. If there appears to be rust, soak it down with a fresh mix of 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid. Lube the threads on the puller, as well as where it hits the crankshaft snout. Better pullers have a bearing here, rather that just the bolt itself. Tighten enough to feel moderate tension. Don't put a bar where it shows in the thread that you gave us. Hold the flywheel from turning using a more tactful system. You don't want to damage any threads. You can torque your puller based on the torque times 3 of one of your pulling bolts. They are 5/16" right? So x3 will be about 75, eh? If it doesn't go by then, get your brass hammer and give 'er a little: "NOW who's the boss"! Bingo.... I haven't been defeated in 55 years of repair. But before I start, I wave my 16 pounder over the flywheel....works every time.IMG_20220110_222911646_compress52.jpg
 
Last edited:
Love that pic. Many thanks guys. I'm waiting for a few call backs from recommendations on rebuilds and newer motors and trying to decide if this thing is worth the effort, time and money. sigh.
 
I would not send any money ( beer tokens ) until the motor was on your boat and running.-----Spend your money wisely !!
 
Not sure where they are located.----I can not even pronounce the name of the city / country shown on the site !!!!----Use ---google maps ----To see the location.----Somewhere in Indonesia I think.
 
Last edited:
They might be okay. My wife is from the Philippines and both her parents are great mechanics. Wife Raquel builds dirt track engines. You just never know what your gonna find in a pen pal.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220112-002743_compress61.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-002743_compress61.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
One listing is for a used 2003 115 Evinrude.----Yet picture for it shows a brand new motor still in the crate.----One listing for a boat seems to show trees with no leaves on them ??----Never been to Indonesia , but ??
 
Last edited:
Used boat listed with no leaves on the trees appears to have a ----NY -----in the registration number.-----New York ???-----Buyer beware.----Spend money carefully I say.
 
Yes, Racer....now it's starting to look a little "fishy". That's a helluvalotta "beer tokens". Now you got me curious, I'm gonna check out that site.

Seems to good to be true?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20220112-101237~2.png
    Screenshot_20220112-101237~2.png
    565.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220112-101256~2.png
    Screenshot_20220112-101256~2.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I sent an inquiry. They responded right away and told me they’d cover insurance and the shipping is through either FedEX or DHL. I replied asking for US references to verify the quality of product and service …. Crickets ….
 
If it’s not a scam, I agree. Have lived in Asia several times over the years. Very hard workers. Hoping it’s the real thing, but I’m doubtful.
You do realize that asia is scam central right? These outboard dealers pop up all the time, But by all means send your money over seas for a product you have not seen or tested. How will that end bad for you? On what planet do you find a a 2014 4 strk Merc 150 for $2150? But by all means buy from them and tell us your experience.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top