Logo

‘86 Evinrude 70 HP - Guidance please

You do realize that asia is scam central right? These outboard dealers pop up all the time, But by all means send your money over seas for a product you have not seen or tested. How will that end bad for you?

Yes, I do. Full disclosure, I have a few friends who live in Jakarta. Should they respond with additional information my friends will pay them a visit to check out the facility. We’ll see …..

I guess there are no safety " guide lines " for these fast boats.---And 100 KPH seems slow in my opinion.-----I think that is capable of much faster speeds.-----No need for a turbo for just 100 KPH I say.----No helmet , lifejacket , padding or boots.

Sorry, Racer, just couldn't resist. I really don't like rules that much, either. Rules and laws are mostly needed for those with no morals or common sense....which is becoming way too much more "common". Seat belts, shoulder belts, air bags, anti lock brakes, traction control....still people are dying and injured more than ever on our roads. Freedom kills, but so do those relying on safety features. Those long tail boats are pretty damn cool. Ever ride in one? Holy crap, brother....WOW! 300 hp on a stick with a prop in the water....bolted to an oversized surfboard. There's only ONE safety device....and that's the "throttle".

They are very uncommon in the Philippines. Why? No canals....just open seas. Any chop will cause a big problem as you might guess. Surprisingly there are very few fatalities. These guys are putting their life's savings into their crafts. Folks like you and me can go for a ride. We can do a "regular" ride....or a "scary" ride. They are "artwork"....and impeccable mechanical marvel's. But I'm still not sure what your gonna find in used outboards. Everything in the Philippines, as you probably know, is inboard. No outboards down there. Here is my boat there on Samal Island. This is used for pleasure and fishing. 6.5 hp Honda inboard with 6.5" two bladed stainless prop.
A used boat like this is often 4 or 5 hundred bucks tops. This one was $350, original owner standing next to it. Right now it is in a shed right up on that beach there. 4 of us pulled it up on rollers. It's a very different world down there.

Attachments

• 0517180957_compress2.jpg
    0517180957_compress2.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
There is definitely a story there, but not with my money. Gonna have a friend in Jakarta who told me he’d take a peek check it out. May be a couple weeks, but definitely worth another press release …

Ha! I'll be waiting for the news. There's lotsa scams out there, we all know, but here on the Forum we will find the truth, if possible. With all this technical experience, life experience runs side by side with it. Just like running twin tillers.

Hi all and greetings from Finland!

Getting back to the original post...

I also have an '86 Evinrude 70 (Model BE70TLCDC) with almost the same story as @OldBoatOldNewbie. Don't know the full history of my engine but I've had it now for three years and it has been really reliable and did give a good ride with at least somehow decent mpg. Considering the age of it I was already more or less expecting that something may happen. And something really happened.

Running WOT the middle piston was most likely running lean and overheated which resulted a broken piston and some damage to the cylinder surface. Visually the head, pistons and cylinders look exactly as the pictures on the original post, a piece missing from the middle cylinder and there are scratches on that cylinder surface. Other cylinders and pistons are quite ok but I still consider getting all the cylinders bored to oversize (.030 o/s seems to be the usual way but I'll let the machine shop tell then what they think).

Since I suppose the second cylinder was running lean, I inspected the fuel lines and there was a barely visible crack on the line going to the middle carburetor. I'll renew all the fuel lines but now I'm wondering should I also get rid of the VRO pump and start mixing the oil to the fuel tank?

I dismantled the engine and I'm anyway planning to do a quite complete overhaul of the engine in belief that it will serve me for many many years to come.

And then a question related to oversizing (the original poster may also aprreciate the answer): When the engine is bored to oversize, will it result in need to change something to the engine? Larger jets to the carburetors, new carburetors, anything?

Best regards and thanks in advance

-Jouni

Answer this -----Does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block or the top of the block??-----Failure of the #2 cylinder is very common.----Need to find out why it failed !----Yes , some folks say to open high speed jets by 0.002"----Also need to look at the latest water pump repair kit for cooling system modification !!

Answer this -----Does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block or the top of the block??-----Failure of the #2 cylinder is very common.----Need to find out why it failed !----Yes , some folks say to open high speed jets by 0.002"----Also need to look at the latest water pump repair kit for cooling system modification !!

The tell tale hose comes off the side of the block.

Water seemed to be circulating well but that's not sure since I can only tell that I saw a good flow coming off from the tell tale. I was thinking that while I'm anyway doing the repair I could add a digital temperature sender (or maybe even more than one) to the engine to be able to monitor engine temp in the future. I think this model doesn't have even a simple beeper to warn from possible overheating.

So you have never tested the " overheat " warning buzzer found inside the control box typically used on these ?----There was a service bulletin that came out in 1994 to move the tell tale hose to the top of the block.----Best to search for the latest water pump kit and make this simple modification.-----Comes with parts and instructions.

Last edited:
Johnson has used overheat warning since early 1960's.----First a light and as buzzers came down in price they have used them starting in 1971 or 1972 models.----Mounted inside the factory control box.-----Many also used a buzzer with different control units.

Just following up on this to close the loop. Photo’s below show the brick building on their website and the other photo was taken by a friend who visited the address on their website. Place your order today !!!
C3EB7A2E-05E5-4A6A-95C3-0A9FE817C252.jpeg677E35E2-B2AF-48A1-A4F7-DFD43CFCA15B.jpeg

On a more positive note, I picked up the below shown motor from a guys backyard for $100 bucks. Compression was 140 on all 4 cylinders and it does run, so got work to do but hoping I get replace the 70 hp with this 85 hp with your help here. I’ll post questions as I begin to check out the motor (not that I know what I’m doing - but bought the original ‘73 service manual for it). Thanks for your help.

A223908D-D094-49C0-8495-2DDD58C0CCA2.jpeg
B5B3C1E0-B386-4344-AC73-C0630454232D.jpeg
Don’t know why those photo’s are sideways …

Photos are fine, happens to me too. Looks like a low use motor, good deal. Like your cart too. And the cement? You've heard there is two kinds of cement, cement that's cracked and cement that's gonna crack!
Thanks for the report on Indonesia Outboard shop. So how much is a kilo of prawns, I ate the last for dinner?

Last edited:
I hauled beck an Identical motor that got thrown around in Hurricane Andrew, near Homestead FL. Boat lifted off the trailer and thrown against the wall of the guys house. It ended up on its side, but the motor was unharmed. Think the year was 1994. Paid $150 for it with everything I wanted off the boat going with it. Sold the motor for a handsome profit. Well worth hauling 2100 miles across the country. Love these 85's, great motors. Next thing is to check lower unit oil, if clean and clear of moisture....you've got "a winner"!

Last edited:
Racer can do it in a couple hours, you and me in a couple days....wish he lived next door. Might not be too bad inside, but an inspection for sure, then a reseal.

Do a complete evaluation of this motor before spending beer tokens.-----Compression test.-----Removal of the 4 bypass covers to inspect pistons and rings !

Back