Logo

What year is my motor

"Hi! New member/poster; 4HP ma

"Hi! New member/poster; 4HP mariner 4AC6EO serial S100957 - what year would that be please and country of build? Any headsup for its operation in particular?
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Tim."

"Hello All,
My motor is a Toh

"Hello All,
My motor is a Tohatsu 3.5 2 stroke.
serial no 017712XE
Can this be identified please?
What year is it?

TIA
Mark Stent"

"Mark, repost in the Tohatsu s

"Mark, repost in the Tohatsu section - the Guru can probably give you an answer..."

"Hi, Another of these YOM ques

"Hi, Another of these YOM questions. I have a Mariner 30 Hp, serial no 689-5251073.Can anyone tell me the age?? Is this engine convertible to 40hp? In case, how??"

"That is a 1990 Yamaha built &

"That is a 1990 Yamaha built "A" model.

And no, you can not change the horsepower to anything on these simply by retro-fitting parts."

"Hi, Another of these YOM ques

"Hi, Another of these YOM questions. I have a Mariner 9.9 Hp, serial no 9534909. Can anyone tell me the age and who made it?"

"i have a 200 hp mariner i am

"i have a 200 hp mariner i am trying to get a couple parts for. stator and flywheel and prop. SN is 0C199076, can anybody tell what / when this monster was made. it has great compression apart from me being told that the power head was blown.... only thing i can find wrong with the motor is that some of the magnets on both the flywheel and stator are busted. any help is appreciated."

"Hi Graham,
Could you please

"Hi Graham,
Could you please tell me the YOM etc of my Mariner 20hp, the serial number is 9441108.
Thanks"

"Chris - 1988 model built by M

"Chris - 1988 model built by Merc/Belgium

Bill - 1989 model - I would pull the heads and inspect the cylinders (get a good look inside). A new flywheel plus a new stator will set you back 1000 bucks - make sure you know what you are getting into because if it needs a rebuilt as well (about 3500 for that model) you could be approaching 5K to get her running, and that's a little too much for that vintage of motor.

Mitchell - that is a 1986 Merc/Belgium built Mariner - same as the 20 Merc with different paint/decals..."

thanks Graham-i am now looking

thanks Graham-i am now looking for a stator / flywheel and upper bearing for it. compression is excellent and all else appears good per my mechanic. i do need the upper bearing and the bracket that the switch sits in as well. I need the gaskets under the head as well. just the outer ones. the pistons are clean and smooth. i will also need the carb rebuild kits as i think i am going to do that just cuz it has sat for 3 years since it was ran last. >> suggestions appreciated.

"I would get a stator from CDI

"I would get a stator from CDI (Andrew who runs this site may either stock it or be able to get it), alternately, try www.ebasicpower.com

For the flywheel watch Ebay or try www.twincityoutboards.com unless you know of a local outboard recycler.

Get the powerhead base gasket from Merc (probably less than 15 bucks)..."

"Hi everybody,

im trying to

"Hi everybody,

im trying to find out the years of my mercury outboard 9.9 hp engine.

i think it is Belgium, the serial number is: 9476539

and it also says B4822 Verviers.

i am also trying to find which CDI unit i need to buy for this model???

hope somebody can help

thanks"

"Richard, that is a 1987 Belgi

"Richard, that is a 1987 Belgian built model.

Not sure what you mean by CDI unit - these had Merc's Thunderbolt 4 ignition (stator, trigger, switchbox, coils), no CDI on this..."

"Ok, the black "thingy&#34

"Ok, the black "thingy" that has all the wires coming and going from it

Merc part 339-7452A19 is the current part number, sells for about 200 bucks at a dealer.

Or you could go with an aftermarket CDI/Rapier switchbox, part number CDI114-7452K1, for about 125 bucks (it don't look the same as the OEM part at all, but it does the same thing - you just have to kinda remount stuff since it doesn't have the clips moulded right into it to support all the wires like the Merc part does).

Has your entire ignition been tested and it was determined it was the switchbox that's bad. If not, have the ignition tested first. You don't want to spend many dollars to find out that you simply had bad spark plugs..."

"hi me again,

thanks to gra

"hi me again,

thanks to graham i now know that my engine is a mercury outboard 9.9hp 1987 model.

can anybody tell me what this part is called i have circled in this attatchment??

thanks guys
288821.jpg
whats this part on my mercury 9.9hp 1987

"thanks loads graham thats a b

"thanks loads graham thats a brilliant help, my knowledge of engines is very limited but i do know the spark plugs are fireing. i took my engine to an engineer and he told me the cdi was broken and it needed replacing!!! he wasnt helpful at all and was very rude, he told me it wasnt worth fixing!!!!!"

"Spark at the plugs is "pr

"Spark at the plugs is "proof" the entire ignition is working.

The part you have circled is the switchbox.

I would find a new tech - if she won't run it's almost certainly a fuel issue.

"Not worth fixin'" - ya find a new mechanic, your motor is most probably the best 9.9 (10 horse) motor ever produced by anyone (even including the brand new models).

Definately worth fixin' unless you have toasted the cylinders somehow..."

he even charged me £100 (e

he even charged me £100 (english pounds)!! he said he had worked on it for for hours!!!

because the spark plugs are sparking does that mean the switch box is ok? or could it still be broke?
i thought i was a fuel proplem myself but the tec said he had checked that and it was ok!!!!

"Richard, what is the motor do

"Richard, what is the motor doing or not doing - give me a little run down (ie, won't start at all, starts but gags out etc).

I own three motors from this model run series (and one of them is even an 87 9.9 Merc colours) and work on 6/8/9.9/15 Merc's alot - there just isn't a whole lot that goes wrong with them, and when it does, it's usually very easy to troubleshoot/diagnose..."

"i only use the engine about 6

"i only use the engine about 6 times a year, on a recent day trip on the river, the engine kept cutting out, sometimes when i accelerated and sometimes not. after we left it over night, the next day it would start but then gag out, and then it wouldnt start at all!! it made noise but just didnt fire!!"

"That definately sounds like c

"That definately sounds like crud in the carb, or a fuel pump diaphram on the way out.

The fuel pump is integral to the carb on that model, so I would pull the carb, take her apart, soak/clean it all up good - replace the gaskets and the fuel pump diaphram (about 15 bucks worth of parts), take a good look at the needle valves to make sure they are pointy and not distorted (replace any that are - a couple bucks a piece) and see what that does for ya..."

"Thanks for the advice graham,

"Thanks for the advice graham, iv actually recently installed a new diaphram (the thing you squeeze to prime the engine), but i will definatly try cleaning the carb up.

before i had the engine trouble i had actually run aground on sum sand, is they any way sand could get in to the card?"

"No - may have caused a bit of

"No - may have caused a bit of a clog in the cooling system, but if water is coming out of the tell tale fine, then probably not an issue.."

"thanks graham, i havent repla

"thanks graham, i havent replaced the fuel pump diaphram, i have only replace the primer bulb, so ill will try that."

"Hey Joe, you are in the Merc

"Hey Joe, you are in the Merc section, but maybe can help you out.

You are going to need to find a model number - check the transom bracket for a little plate.

You are looking for either 4 or 5 digits starting 9xxx or 10xxx - find that and we can look her up for you..."

"hi guys,

i am testing my e

"hi guys,

i am testing my engine at the moment in a barrel of water. when the engine is in neutral should the prop be turning?

one of the problems i had was even when i put the gear in neutral, my engine was in first gear and it propelled the boat forward.

thanks guys"

Back