Logo

What year is my motor

"Graham,
Addendum to above. I

"Graham,
Addendum to above. I noticed your earlier response re Australian serail numbers starting with an "8. As well as the serioal 0B373842 (on the side of the outboard) there is also a serial number on our NSW Maritime Boat Registration Certificate. This second serial number is M822165."

"hello im new here,im interest

"hello im new here,im interested to know about the Mercury year the serial number is 0G043137 what kind spark plug i need,its 225 horse power..graham if u can help with this i apreciate that thanks..."

I just recently purchased a 40

I just recently purchased a 40 mariner serial number 6e9 l 421851 and would like to find the year . any help would be great

I just bought my first boat an

I just bought my first boat and wanted to get a repair manual but I don't know the year. It is a 40hp motor. The plate the I found with the serial # has 4OEL on one line and then 6F9 L 416129.
Can you decipher this for me and tell me who made it and what year?

thanks

"Hi I have a Mariner 75hp, 3 c

"Hi I have a Mariner 75hp, 3 cylinder auto lube with serial No OC 246707. Can anyone assist me with the year. I am in South Africa"

"Hey Fred, that is a 1990 mode

"Hey Fred, that is a 1990 model. Identical to the 75 horse Merc of the same vintage and also shared 99% of it's parts with the far more popular (and still in production) 90 horse models (either Merc or Merc/Mariner).

Very nice motor, super reliable - possibly Mercs best design of all time..."

"I just bought a 115hp 4cyl. o

"I just bought a 115hp 4cyl. oil injected Mariner s/n 0D245335.
I would like to know the year, and who made it. Thanks Darby"

"Darby, that is a 1993 Mercury

"Darby, that is a 1993 Mercury built Mariner. The powerhead itself was produced by Yamaha, but this model should not be confused with the Yami built Mariners which were pure Yamaha - this is very much a Merc just painted a different colour...

If you are unfamiliar with Mercs 4 cylinder 115/125 models of that vintage, they only fire on 2 cylinders at idle/low rpms and all 4 as your increase engine speed (somewhere in the 1500-1800 rpm range if my memory is working).

The cross-over (both going up and down in rpm) can be quite noticable - that is totally normal.."

"Thanks Graham, The person tha

"Thanks Graham, The person that I bought the engine from said the former owner had complained about it being rough running in the mid range. Once it got into the higher rpms it smouthed out and ran great. That was the reason he took it off of his boat. He thought that the carbs were out of sink. Good techs. are in short supply here.
The engine has been in storage for almost two years. When it is only firing on 2 cyl. does the vro eliminate the oil to those cyl. or will it load up and get rougher?
Back in April I was able to find "Mercury Serial Number Guide". Now I can't find it. Has the site been changed, or am I just on the wronge page?
Thank you very much for this info. It's going to make life much easer on the water. Darby"

"No, the cylinders are always

"No, the cylinders are always getting oil, even when not firing - since it's a 2 stroke, it's imperative that oil get to them for lube even if they are "not really in use".

This particular system is often referred to as Merc's 2+2 - not sure if it was a Merc or a Yamaha invention.

Anyhow, the oil pump still mixes oil with the gas and sends it to all the carbs. The carbs for the two cylinders not in use have modified low speed jets (which make it important to keep the carbs straight if you ever pull them).

The jets for those cylinders only let enough of a gas/oil charge through to keep the cylinders lubed. So they do waste a bit of gas, but it is quite minimal (and considerably less than if you were idling all 4 cylinders).

On the electrical side of things you have High/Low speed stator windings (all in one unit)and two switchboxes - both parts of the stator feed one switchbox (which fires the 2 cylinders that run all the time at both high/low rpms) and the second switchbox is only fed by the high speed windings (which always produce power but only get up high enough to fire a sparkplug around the 1500-1800 rpm range).

At that rpm the crankcase vaccum is now "sucking" enough that the carb has moved on to it's high speed jets and gas flow is "normal" at all carbs.

It's that point before everything kicks in that can be a little rough - the engine is almost gasping one second, then running full tilt the next.

As far as the Merc guide, it has probably moved. Cliff (Marine Engine) has been doing quite a revamp and trying to put together more information pages - all should be back soon "bigger and better" than before..."

"The Merc s/n page is still th

"The Merc s/n page is still there I just didn't see it. Are Mariner s/n a different ball game, I couldn't find my numbers in the Merc. 4-cyl. 115hp group.
Thanks again for the GREAT information. Darby"

G'day I have just bought a

G'day I have just bought a cuddy cabin with a 150 hp mariner S/N 5671831 (I think) Just wondering what year she is also she is a V6 2 stroke what would be the oil/fuel mixture
cheers for any help

"Darby, it should be there - M

"Darby, it should be there - Merc/Mariners and Merc's shared the same serial series.

Matthew, that is a 1979 - the first year for the 150 Mariner. Believe it was built around Merc's 2.0 liter block which saw continued use on the 135 until all the 2 strokes were discontinued.

It will mix at 50:1"

cheers for the help any idea w

cheers for the help any idea what model she would be I am trying to get some basic specs as this i my little project but i cant find any info on the motor

"please could you tell me what

"please could you tell me what year my mariner 60E no : 6FO302530 [ Japan made] are they any good, and is it possible to get a power trim and tilt to fit this engine and where do I get one in the UK. all the best Ken"

"That looks to be a 1982 Yamah

"That looks to be a 1982 Yamaha built 60 horse Mariner.

You will be hard pressed to find maintenace parts much less a trim/tilt unit for it.

Your motor is a carbon copy of Yamaha's own model 60CE which last saw production in 1983.

This was one of the highest horsepower twin cylinder motors of it's day and it did not last very long.

Although well built, the lower displacement twin just wasn't the best idea for a 60 horse model so it quickly became an orphan.

They were considerably more popular (the Yamaha Mariner line) in the U.K. compared to North America, so you may have better luck looking for parts on your side of the big puddle.

See if there is a forum similar to this based somewhere in Europe - they can probably advise better than any of us over here..."

"Hi Kenneth,
The first

"Hi Kenneth,
The first salvage that springs to mind in the UK is Bill Hingham in the midlands.There are several others as well. This guy has a lot of stuff on ebay.co.uk"

Thank you Ian Summerfield for

Thank you Ian Summerfield for help finding out what year my mariner outboard serial #6E9 L 416129. you said it was a 1984-85. I'm trying to get the right manual for it. they seem to be broken down by hp and # of cylinders. How can I tell how many cylinders there are without opening it up?

"Sorry,I must have been more s

"Sorry,I must have been more sleepy last night than I thought. woke up this morning and realized that the answer was really simple. Just count the number of spark plugs."

"Hi,
I have a Merc 800 4cly s

"Hi,
I have a Merc 800 4cly serial number 962-6454. Im not sure if this is the right number, if not where can i find the number, if it is the right number can some one tell me what year it is and also where you go to find out what serial numbers mean what year
Thanks
Rob"

I have two motors to ask about

I have two motors to ask about. The first is a Mercury 9.9 with serial number 0A947462.

The second is a Mercury 9.8 with serial number 6517870.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent parts list for these two motors. I have the Seloc repair manual but it does not have a parts list with exploded views. Thank you.

Back