Logo

2003 johnson 60 hp 4 stroke efi engine will not start

I have been having some health issues, sorry I haven't responded back quickly. Now I have misplaced my reading glasses, I can't hardly see to type.
I rented 2 different gages, and I bought a brand new gage for the last test, hoping that the rented gages could have been damaged somehow,

Now I see it. I've got to go try to help my nephew get his lawnmower started, I will get back to you shortly.
Thanks Ron1

When I screwed the test hose in I tightened it to the point where I thought it would break the hose, and I took a flashlight and tried to see if the hose was completely tight, but I couldn't see well enough to tell for sure, I couldn't, turn it anymore.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the time Last year I told you about when the water pump went out, I thought if the engine did overheat and the overheat light didn't come on, the engine still would have ran rough enough that I would have noticed it at the time. I was thinking about a warped head, might could cause the readings I have been getting, what do you think?

I think I need to do more thinking and less typing. What ever has happened to this engine had to of happened when I took it to the river the last time, or it would not have ran so good, until this happened.

I will try to get an oil spray can to do a wet compression test, and let you you know the results asap. How much oil should I spray in each cylinder, in cars I used about 2 good sprays.

OK...let us know the results.

EDIT:

Dog had 11 pups last night. Goldendoodles. They are a hybrid mix of a poodle and a golden retriever.
I have 8 weeks of care to give. The last 4 weeks consist of **** cleanup.

These are fantastic dogs. I had a black lab / golden retriever mix too......the smartest dog ever and lived happily to 16 and 1 month. 11 is a grand litter, congrats.
To Ron, do you have any reading glasses? You gotta be able to see to work on this. I get mine at the Dollar Tree. A light spray in each cylinder of fogging oil should suffice. Do a before and after test, you should reach full compression after 5 compression strokes......that would be 10 revolutions on a 4 stroke outboard. I'm still worried about the chance that it overheated. Can you get us your trouble codes as "Grandpa Goldendoodle" asked earlier?

Sorry I haven't been able to do anything today, I have been throwing up, and feeling bad all day. Congratulations on the pups.
The only code I have seen was the CMP.
I found my glasses they fell out in my truck. Where can I get this fogging oil, how much is it?

Just for our purposes it is not really necessary to use a special oil. Try WD-40 spray. Try to fog the cyl walls as mush as you can.

I am just looking to see if there is a significant change.

It is very unfortunate that the design of this engine does not allow the head to come off without removing the powerhead.

Hey Ron, you need some help with this project, the way its going, your never going to get it running......at least you have a continuous season where you live.

I live in Rockwell North Carolina.
I have two main problems, one is this PTSD, I have never been one to give up, or even give into pain, but this PTSD has kicked my behind over and over. The other problem is money, unless I can overcome the first one, I will not be able to overcome the second.

I thought if I could just go up town, and just walk up and down the sidewalks maybe it would help, I'm just not sure. When I got out of the Army I could run 2 miles in 11 minutes and 24 seconds, now I get out of breath getting out of my truck and walking into wal marts.

firewood 005.jpgfirewood 002.jpgfirewood 001.jpgDon't give up brother, we are here to help you all we can, just take it step by step but need to stay focused as possible. WOW! 2 miles in under 12 minutes is awesome. I myself am a 2 times infected Lymes disease survivor......complete with Bells Palsy and joint deterioration......I need a new right hip, right shoulder surgery, and left knee replacement, among other things......my 13 year old keeps me going.......my wife is only 40......that helps too. These deer ticks are thick up here and I've been bit by them several times. At one time I couldn't climb one flight of steps, and was operating my chain saw on my knees to get my firewood loads delivered to my many customers. Thought I was going to die, man!

Last edited:
Sorry I have been sick again, I have the wd40, as soon as I get to feeling better I will fog the engine and do that test.

OK as fortunes would have it, I have to be in Wilmington, NC on Saturday.
My plan was to get up at 2am Sat morning, drive 8 hrs, arrive Wilmington, pick up engine I bought, and turn around and drive home.

But it occurred to me that I could make a side trip to Rockwell. Rockwell is only 3.5 hrs from Wilmington.
So, if all goes well, I could be in Rockwell by maybe 2 pm Saturday. We could look it over then.
Or, I could stay over, and we could look at on Sunday.

I will bring all the necessary tools.

I will PM you my cell phone number. You must respond....last PM I sent, you never responded.

If I have not heard from you by Saturday when I start back, I will continue home.

PM means Private Message.
Click on my name, you will see 5 options. One of them is Private Message.

The website should also be telling you that you have a Private Message waiting.

Well, I met with Ron1 on Saturday afternoon.

We discussed (and cussed) the problem with his Johnson 60 hp fourstroke.

We went thru the basic testing, compression, fuel, and spark, using my equipment. Spark test GOOD, Fuel pressure GOOD, compression...errr...not so much.

Using my MAC tools compression gauge, we consistently got between 120 and 110 psi on all four.

However, Ron noticed while the plugs were out, that there was engine oil dripping from the #4 cylinder plug hole.
????? Huh? Oil from the combustion chamber side?

Well, I don't know what could have caused such a fault where all cylinders are damaged equally badly that oil seeps past the rings to drip from a spark plug hole AND cause the low compression....but that is apparently what has happened.

It needs a powerhead rebuild.

I am going to see if I can put together a rotating mechanism bare bones powerhead, take to NC and swap on all his peripherals from his engine,
and get him running again.

That is the plan....whether it actually happens....we will see.

After having met with daselbee, for anyone that would go out of their way as much as he did to try and help me with my problems I felt that I am just a little bit better of a person for having met him, I thank you daselbee for everything you have done to try and help me.

timguy I have been to Duluth, I thought it was very beautiful, with all the water and huge bridges, how's the fishing up there?

daselbee I need you to hold of on doing anything about a short block, if that is correct. It may be a while before I can come up with any money, my daughter got into some legal trouble, and we are trying to help her. This Friday we will know if she's going to return the money she borrowed from my son's, if she does, I'm hoping that my son's will let me borrow some money, so that I can pay you for that short block.

daselbee I need you to hold of on doing anything about a short block, if that is correct. It may be a while before I can come up with any money, my daughter got into some legal trouble, and we are trying to help her. This Friday we will know if she's going to return the money she borrowed from my son's, if she does, I'm hoping that my son's will let me borrow some money, so that I can pay you for that short block.
Hope all goes well db you are one super guy.

daselbee, my daughter returned the money yesterday as she said, so I asked my son if I could borrow some money, but he said that he had to use the money to pay the power bill, so I guess I will have to wait, sorry about that.
Thanks for all that you have done!

I don't think either of my children are going to lend me any money to work on my boat, l don't know that it would do any good anyhow,I haven't even left the house but one time in over three weeks, I haven't even worked on my truck, it has been broken down since before you came by here.

Back