Logo

2003 johnson 60 hp 4 stroke efi engine will not start

Okay, Ron, so if it has bad compression, we also need to find out what caused the problem. These newer outboards rarely have an impeller last 15 years. Rubber composition is not what it used to be and modern impellers have shorter fingers that are required to make a more severe bend to pump water. Engineering has improved for sure but a lot of effort has been applied to make things wear out too. This motor should last a lifetime but careful maintenance is critical. Electronics are not bulletproof, a stealth bomber crashed because of a microcircuit issue........loss 4 billion dollars.
For you, maybe its a lube oil issue. Also I've seen lower units tighten up because of bad seal and water infestation. You can fix the motor for sure, but its going to get very expensive for a complete overhaul. If I was your family or close friend, I would take up a collection to help you out, brother. Sounds like you need your time on the water for your health, therapy and well being.

I ordered that manual, ebay said they would send me a confirmation number, today I checked my son's email for the confirmation number, it was not there, so I went back and tried to order it again, it said it was sold out. That is my luck.

Hey Ron, don't give up, brother, things will get better. I propose to take up a collection for you, I'll start with a $20 deposit into your Pay Pal. Give me your account e-mail, bro.

I appreciate the gesture, but I didn't have a PayPal account, I no longer even have a checking account, I have no need for one, because most of the time I don't have any money to put in any kind of an account. I couldn't except any money anyway, I would feel bad because I didn't earn it. Many of my family members and friends have tried to get me to file for disability, after all I messed up my back jumping out of plains in the 82 airborne, but I always thought that I could live with it, now I have to pay for it.
Thanks anyway!
Ron1

Ron, its you we have to thank for our freedom and being the great country we are. you DID earn the money but in an indirect way. My dad was in the infantry for 4 years in WWII. When it was finally over, he stayed in Bangkok for almost 2 years wandering around with little direction. He had lost his Dad to cancer during the war and never got to see him. His battle scars healed up, but he suffered with mental regret for killing over a dozen Japanese in close fighting during his walk through China. He is my hero, he loved his boating and fishing and I stayed with him......never left my home town in search of opportunity and gain. He is and was a great great man, he taught me so much...........how to live and also how to die. When he died in my arms, he left me something that I can never loose.......that is knowledge of the deep sacrifice that one makes in order to secure the honor and dignity of yourself and your country. Ron, we owe you more than you may ever know, brother.

That's really deep, and I can't tell you how great it makes me feel, that anyone would express such devotion to their father, we should all be able to feel the same towards are parents,
Thanks Man
Ron1

Bumpity bump.

Where do we stand Ron? Have you absolutely verified that the compression numbers you see are real and correct?

I really don't think Ron has the resources to move forward with his project, it would be interesting to solve it with him, you are an exceptional tech and have helped so many, thanks for that. If Ron was my dad I would not sleep until his boat was fixed.

If Ron would consider it, I would be willing to drive up to Rockledge to do a quick check myself of what I see.
It is an 8 hour drive, but I got people that I could see on the same visit.

If the motor is blown...cylinder damage, valves bent, etc....then I could tow it home and fix it here.
I cannot absorb the cost of parts, but I can absorb the labor.

This is bordering on violation of the board operating policies, tho.

I have not been able to rent a compression tester as of yet, but the other day I was out paying my son's insurance and my truck was running hot, so I stopped at a store called harbor freight, to walk around and let my truck cool off, and I saw that they have a compression gage set that looks just like the one that autozone rents, same case and all, for $29.00. I may try to see if I can borrow the money to get it.
Thanks for the offer daselbee, but I live in Rockwell NC, and I don't know how I would be able to pay for the parts.

Unreal, "you the man". If I lived a thousand miles closer I'd join you. My operating policy is: "help those in need that deserve it".

Good luck with your problem. I will be away from internet access for a week, up in Ontario. Hope you can "git 'er done". Regards, Tim

Yeah, Rockwell, NC. Sorry...these "Rock...." towns.
I have a small town near me called Rockledge.....and that slipped out. I know exactly where Rockwell is. Been thru there many times.

So, what does the compression say now?

I still haven't been able to rent a gage. But I saw where Harbor Freight Is having a sale 20% off, that means I can get a new gage for about $23.00 so I am going to try and get one. My brother was going to leaned me his, but his 13/16 adapter is missing.

The other day when I told you that my son ordered that manual, eBay Said that they would send me a confirmation #, they never sent one, so I figured I didn't get the manual, today I got the manual, I haven't had the chance to read it, but I took a quick look at it, from what I saw it is much more professional than the other one I have.
Thanks for alerting manual to it.

My son said that he would get the compression gage for me today, but something came up, now he said it would be Thursday before he can get it for me. I'll let you know about the compression as soon as I can.
Thanks Ron1

I just happened to think of something concerning the compression, is it possible that the injectors firing could effect the compression?

Sometimes I wonder if I even have a brain. The injectors are behind the valves. To bad I can't think before I submit.

I just got the compression gage, tomorrow I will try to redo the compression test, and let you know the results.

I wasn't able to sleep at all last night, after getting that compression tester. So I went out this morning to do the compression test. I started by turning the engine over to make sure that the battery was charged enough, and to pump a little oil up into the engine. Well the engine started up before it turned over good, and ran for about 10 or 15 seconds and died. I put the throttle to the WOT position, took the plugs out, disconnected the ignition coils, and the injectors, and the high pressure fuel pump. I connected the tester and turned the engine over, I could only get 75 psi, on 1 - 3, and 90 psi on 4.

Last edited:
When I put everything back together, I tried to start it again, it started right up and ran for almost a minute, and died, and wouldn't start again. I have never seen an engine sit as this engine has and the compression change so much, from 145, to 90, now 75, is this thing honted. How can it keep changing?

I received a notification from marineengine.com I think was saying that I have to many posts, what do I need to do about that?

I'm back, not sure about the post problem, but maybe someone else can advise. Where is Daselbee? Ugly compression test, brother.

Not sure what to tell you here. I am racking my brain to try to figure out what can cause all four to be low in compression.
I am absolutely certain you will need 200 psi for the engine to run normally.

So, all those who are reading this....what can cause the fluctuations Ron1 is seeing?

Blown head gasket....no.
Valve timing.....yes....but he checked that and said it was OK per the pics I sent him.
Cylinders scored....no......not all four the same way. Not likely.
Testing error.....yes....but he has used two different compression gauges.

Ron1....have you been sure to screw the compression gauge in all the way to seal the o-ring against the plug hole?

Ron1....Can you spray some motor oil into the plug holes and re-check compression? See if it goes up. That will help eliminate valves vs. scored cyls.

Ron1.....bad news I am afraid.
My window of opportunity to come up there to help out on your motor has closed.
I have a litter of pups due to be born tomorrow or Tuesday, after which it will take all of my time to care for them and the mother.
I raise pups once or twice a year to help pay the taxes....everyone has their hand out these days.

So, 8 weeks from now the window will open back up for me to travel, after they are all sold.

Now.....I am puzzled why the engine starts for you and as you report...runs for a short minute or so. That is contradictory to your compression test
results.
Do you have a tach? If so, turn the key to on, and the check engine light should blink the fault codes if any are stored.

Right. Ron should get fault codes, I am confident that he has done a reliable compression test so could it be just barely running with those #'s? Maybe it DID overheat when he ran it up the river, as I mentioned way back, and then it cooled down later and freed up. That could cause an even damage to all 4 cylinders.......in this case, Ron will never afford to fix it........... unless he gets into raising pedigree pups..........or maybe selling firewood like me and Raquel.

This has been a very interesting thread, I wish some other techs could help out but maybe they are looking for something a bit more normal perhaps........Where are you, Ron?

Maybe Ron got "locked out".........he said that they sent him a notice........he was sending too many messages without a reply.......soon he will be an "advanced contributor"..........with a dead boat.

Back