Logo

Why switch box marked 4/8 1969?

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
I wish to sell a vintage Mercury switch box from my stock and don't quite understand the marking. It is part number 332-2986A-22. What does the 8 mean? So apparently it will not fit the six cylinder in lines? This is a brand new item I have had on my shelf for many many years. Thanks, Tim

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004-103345.png
    Screenshot_20231004-103345.png
    808.3 KB · Views: 11
Thanks, Racer. Mercury is quite confusing sometimes to me. I prefer OMC, also interchangeablity.

The only Mercruisers I ever saw with this was 427ci's in a houseboat with TR drives and a old military river patrol boat that had outdrives that could swivel from 90° to 45°.

So that was a Ford? Crazy! In automotive applications, electronic ignition came out in the mid 70's.

Agreed, Racer. So in this case this was only to provide a tachometer signal but did not control the spark electronically? I don't think this subject has much merit today but I have never seen it covered. It's so easy to just hook your tachometer to the distributor side of the spark coil on a points ignition. Why the box?

The way the ignition worked was engineered for Mercury's tach which used higher voltages and rise times. When you bought a motor you could get the tach to go with it which was a better one than a car tach (waterproof, shock proof etc.).
anyone that buys that swichbox can use an alternator driven tach.
TBOLT-distributor-operation.jpg

Okay, interesting. So what year is the box? One guy on eBay has it listed as a 1969, so its really for 1975/76?

Back