Logo

Whats Next?

Eischman

I have restored two 2hp motors, an 1978 Evinrude(2802R) and a 1982 Johnson(J2RCTD), they both run nice except for the Evinrude, it just dose not have the top end like the Johnson does, I use these on a 7.5' dingy.
So right now the Johnson is a 2hp and the Evinrude ACTS like a 1.5hp (even after replacing carb)
I have replaced coils and so on on these, so What's Next for the Evinrude? Rings?

They are both the same motor.----Restored in your workshop means paint or actual mechanical repairs ?-----Perhaps see what a compression test says.

Same, almost. I see 3 different pistons for the '78, and 3 for the '83. But none of the '83 are same as '78. It'll be interesting to see how they compare for compression. Compression ratio different???

Thanks, Ill check compression and let you know!
1.Trim is the same.
2.I'll swap the props next time out and see if any different.

1983 Johnson 2hp is 50 psi
1978 Evinrude 2hp is 42 psi

What do you think, would new rings help or does
the hole thing need to be redone at a shop?

Maybe borrow another gauge. Should be like 80. I will check my 2 hp later to see. It's similar year, but they should all be the same.

It was the only one that someone could borrow me!
on a side note, just because I hade it I checked both cylinders of my
68 Johnson 9.9 (teardrop) it read 55psi on both cylinders.
The good thing is we know the Evinrude is less than the Johnson, like we suspected.

Last edited:
The 9.5....I call 'em "Stubbies", are great motors but lack real "punch". They are typically low compression as 2 stroke motors go. A 1963 10 hp will very easily outperform one. Still you should get 70 psi on a good 9.5 Stubby. Perhaps that gauge is a bit low. Your 2 hp's are likely a bit low on compression, but perhaps the difference on your readings could cause such a performance differentiation. Did you say the Evinrude runs like a 1 1/2 horse? That's probably the best your gonna get. My Yamaha 5 hp two stroke single cyl. has 130 psi since it has been overhauled.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies,
I’m going to try to bring it to small outboard shop
in town and see what they’re gauge reads (when I find time from working 12+ hour days)

Back