Logo

Water coming out of leg exhaust holes

dnewey

New member
Hi guys
I am new to this outboard thing. But from the amount of repairs and rebuilds I have done on my outboard, I think I'm getting the hang of this ha ha.
I have searched the threads, but can find a clear answer for my issue.
I have a old 1979 evinrude 85hp V4 crossbow.
Today while out fishing with the family the tell-tale (piss hole) stopped.
Then steam started to bellow out.( water pump was my first thought) even though I had only replaced the Whole unit,a couple of months back.
Do I limped her back to the ramp and went home.
Back home I put her on the muffs and back flushed the pisshole.
To my surprise the water started flowing and everything was back to normal.
BUT. Now I have noticed water pouring out of the leg exhaust holes (refer pick)
Please shed some light on this?

Cheers
Darren
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0458~01.jpg
    DSC_0458~01.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 16,652
You may have had the lower unit pickup a plastic bag or some other object that blocked off the water intake temporarily.... however it would be a good idea to double check the water pump rather than to take a chance of ruining your next outing.

(Exhaust Relief Ports - Exhaust Housing (Inner/Outer)
(J Reeves)

The long housing between the powerhead and the lower unit is called the exhaust housing. There is a inner housing within it that has a heavy duty seal around the bottom of it, or heavy duty seals around a inner extension between the housing and the lower unit.


The red hot exhaust travels down thru that inner tube and out the propeller with a somewhat supply of water to cool the propeller hub. A good amount of water surrounds and fills the space between the outer and inner tube, otherwise the outer housing would get so hot that the paint would burn off.


Some water pumps, for some reason (differing even when new) exert a great amount of water pressure, and if the exhaust housing seals are in perfect condition, the water fills the tube to a point of overflowing.

This brings into play those two holes or slots, whichever the engine might have, at the top rear portion of the exhaust housing just below the powerhead.

Now, if those two holes/slots weren't there, water would continue to flow up into the cylinders. Water not flowing out of those holes is no concern for alarm UNLESS that outer housing suddenly becomes extremely hot..... the warning horn should sound long before that happens.


The main reason for those holes being there (exhaust relief holes) is that when at an idle, there is an extreme amount of resistance encountered by the exhaust trying to escape due the fact that the outlet via the propeller is now blocked by a wall of water. The escape route in this case is for the exhaust to escape out those two holes, otherwise the engine would slow down quite quickly and die. If exhaust cannot escape, air/fuel cannot gain entrance to the engine.
 
You can test the warning horn turn the ignition on and then short the wire going to the switches on the heads to ground the horn should sound. If the horn sounds there is no reason to believe the switches are bad. When on the water you can test if its overheating by putting your hand on the heads. Be careful at first but you should be able to hold your hand on the heads for a slow count to six. Keep an eye on it and be safe.
 
I'm with faztbullet. That much water pouring out at idle indicates the thermostat or poppet valve is stuck open. OR---the powerhead is hot, making the 'stat open. But if that much water is going through, it shouldn't be hot. Unless there is a partial obstruction somewhere.
 
Thanks for all the ideas guys.
I know the engine HAD to have got hot, No alarm/horn went off.
I think my next step, is to check the buzzer/Horn

Once again, thanks for the ideas, Time to play again tonight i think


Cheers
 
Hey good luck buddy, checking the horn should help you feel more secure, wish these came with gauges though. with todays technology we should be able to have wireless gauges (except power of course, lol, maybe solar like my watch). I understand your worry, I have the same one every time I go into the water.
 
Back
Top