Logo

Trim/tilt gauge perfect storm.... a quick question.

metal-chicken

Regular Contributor
So last year we discovered that the trim gauge on our new to us whaler didn't work - I presumed this was because the arm on the sender unit had broken off. No worries, thought I, get another sender - so I did. I plugged it in before fitting it and not a twitch from the gauge :(
That's a bit annoying I mumbled to myself, gauge must be bust - so I bought a used one off eBay. Plugged it in and it twitched, but the needle didn't move. :mad:
Tested the new gauge - applied known 12v and the needle shot up, shorted the gnd and sender input and the needle shot down :)

Went to test the socket on the engine for power - nothing. Looked inside the socket.... one outer pin missing completely :(:(

Cut the socket off and tested the bare wires for power.... nothing :confused:

Should there be power to any of the three wires on the socket?

Yes,check power feed source to gauge,there should be 3 wires +,-,sender and/or a 4th,light bulb. Once you get power there,disconnect the "s" wire,turn ignition on,you should have full deflection in one direction, Now connect the "s" on gauge to ground gauge should deflect in opposite direction

It was actually the female plug on engine that had lost the pin so I've cut it off and will replace it - but should i be getting voltage on those wires?

(Gauge getting solid 12v so that's fine)

Well I got it fixed in the end :)

Because this socket had lost one of the pins through corrosion....
2afk5xs.jpg

I cut it off and simply crimped the wires together....
ndqtxw.jpg

It still wasn't working but as I moved the gauge it flicked on and off and turned out there was a poor connection at the 12v + to gauge connection - fitted a new ring connector and it seems to be all working finally. Frankly there wasn't much else to go wrong!

Last edited:
Back