Logo

Tilt / Trim issue

Do I understand correctly that you are getting noise from the pump but no tilt up? If so try loosening the plug on the cylinder just a little and see if there is pressure. Mine has a plug for both sides of the tilt piston probably to hook up pressure gauges, just be careful how much you loosen them, oil under pressure can make a big mess rather quickly.

Is the pump motor turning for up ?----Is there a knob on the pump reservoir / valve body that needs to be turned ?

Is the pump motor turning for up ?----Is there a knob on the pump reservoir / valve body that needs to be turned ?

I'm just getting a click when I push the up button. It goes down just fine. And yes it has a valve on the bottom of the pump. And IV messed with that all different ways still nothing. And I just put a new cylinoid on it

They just reverse the polarity of the wires to make the tilt motor give you up and down so use jumper wires straight to the pump motor, hooked up one way it should go up and reverse the wires and it should go down. With the wire harness hooked up a test light should show the same, one side hot on up and the other wire hot on down. If the relay clicks without putting voltage on the wire to the motor then make sure that you have power going into the relay. There is two parts to the relay, one circuit that turns the relay on (from the switch) and makes it click and the circuit that that click is supposed to activate which is the part that sends power to the motor. If you get the click and you know that the relay is good then no volage available to pass along would be my guess. Oh and if there is no click in both directions then make sure that you have voltage coming from the switch to be able to activate the relay in the first place.

Last edited:
I assume that would be correct but wouldn't they have to work basically the same? I could see one hot in being shunted one side then the other but there would still be a need for two primary circuit wires, on for up and one for down would there not?

That is a field and frame motor and use separate windings thru magnetic induction to reverse motor..if it runs in down the brushes and thermal overload are good. Jump 12 V across from red cable to blue..if it runs now it a bad solenoid. The newer trims use a permanent magnet frame that why Merc has "do not strike on" case as can break internal magnets

Just about the time that you think you know something some engineer comes up with another way to skin a cat, thanks for the info.

This is old school techno....reason ole starters are heavy..

True but starters only turn one direction but stopping to think, there isn't any reason it won't work just hadn't thought of it being done that way. What is common in one industry isn't used much in another and I knew that going in. Boating again when I have to learn instead of just ride the water is interesting, previous times nothing went wrong on mine and the forums weren't a thing yet.

Back