Logo

Throttle

georgetrihias

I have a 2004 Honda 9.9 long shaft outboard that when I throttle up I basically have to turn the throttle half way before it starts giving power and the boat starts moving. The throttle goes well beyond the fast setting and runs ok. When I power down it sometimes takes it a couple seconds to maybe 20 before rpm comes back down... I'm thinking throttle cable is possibly bad?? I'm not sure what else it could be so any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
While yes, it might be a bad cable, I would first suspect that, for some reason, the cable housing isn't being held and is "floating" and is moving with the cable and creating excessive movement.

Check to see how the cable housing is held at the carburetor end. Sorry, I couldn't find a depiction of that for reference but it should be fairly obvious if the housing is moving as the throttle is twisted and released.

If the carb end looks secure then look at the underside of the tiller handle and ensure that the cable housing end is held securely by the little "half clamp" or shift plate as Honda calls it.
Item 4 in the link below.

That plate is held with self tapping screws and they can work loose. Use a mirror to observe the underside of the handle for the presence of the plate and operate the twist grip to observe cable and or housing movement. You will probably need to remove item #5 (or #28 depending) to see the cable end.

NOTE: I Have never actually done this so I'm probably wrong about the steps involved.

I don't recommend operating the throttle with the tiller flipped all the way up as that could damage the cable.

If the housing looks secure at both ends and the exposed cable ends aren't kinked, then it very well could be a stretched cable or something has broken in the twist grip mechanism that pulls and relaxes the cable. That stuff is plastic.

Items 17, 31 and 15 are all plastic I believe and work in conjunction to engage the pin, item 11, to manipulate the cable. If any of those were to break it might cause your issue....I think.

Operating the throttle with the tiller folded all the way up might cause cable stretch. Also, if the carburetor accelerator pump piston is frozen, that too could stress the cable over time I suppose.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
While yes, it might be a bad cable, I would first suspect that, for some reason, the cable housing isn't being held and is "floating" and is moving with the cable and creating excessive movement.

Check to see how the cable housing is held at the carburetor end. Sorry, I couldn't find a depiction of that for reference but it should be fairly obvious if the housing is moving as the throttle is twisted and released.

If the carb end looks secure then look at the underside of the tiller handle and ensure that the cable housing end is held securely by the little "half clamp" or shift plate as Honda calls it.
Item 4 in the link below.

That plate is held with self tapping screws and they can work loose. Use a mirror to observe the underside of the handle for the presence of the plate and operate the twist grip to observe cable and or housing movement. You will probably need to remove item #5 (or #28 depending) to see the cable end.

NOTE: I Have never actually done this so I'm probably wrong about the steps involved.

I don't recommend operating the throttle with the tiller flipped all the way up as that could damage the cable.

If the housing looks secure at both ends and the exposed cable ends aren't kinked, then it very well could be a stretched cable or something has broken in the twist grip mechanism that pulls and relaxes the cable. That stuff is plastic.

Items 17, 31 and 15 are all plastic I believe and work in conjunction to engage the pin, item 11, to manipulate the cable. If any of those were to break it might cause your issue....I think.

Operating the throttle with the tiller folded all the way up might cause cable stretch. Also, if the carburetor accelerator pump piston is frozen, that too could stress the cable over time I suppose.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it is helpful for me. You saved my day. Now, I don't have to waste my time on google search anymore. I also would like to help you by sharing a useful site link with you. Here is a link to a website https://studyclerk.com/argumentative-essay-writing in this students can assist with finishing their essay assignments. If you are a student looking for essay writers to complete your essay writing, you can go to this website.
Yes, it is helpful for me. You saved my day :)

Back