Logo

Stator/Timing base Replacement

dhearn0513

Contributing Member
Took the Flywheel off my 1985 Evinrude 120 tonight, and there was some metal shavings all around the magnets on the Stator and Flywheel. I believed they may have shorted out and ruined my stator, because now I have no spark to any cylinder. Looked like the metal shavings were coming from a magnetized round piece pressed onto the bottom of the flywheel. I dont see this part in the manual though. Is this part of the flywheel assembly. Also the timing base looks good, but it as a small pin hole lose to the top on the side. Is this hole suppose to be there. Sorry to be long winded, here are the ? I need answered.
1 Would those metal shaving cause my stator short out?
2 Is the piece that looked pressed onto the bottom of the flywheel part of that assemble?
3 Is the pin hole in the timing base suppose to be there?
4 After replacing the timing base, does the WOT timing need to be reset.

Took the Flywheel off my 1985 Evinrude 120. There was some metal shavings around the magnets on the Stator and Flywheel. Looked like the metal shavings were coming from a magnetized round piece pressed onto the bottom of the flywheel. I dont see this part in the manual. Also the timing base looks good, but it as a small pin hole lose to the top on the side. Is this hole suppose to be there.
1 Would those metal shaving cause my stator short out?
2 Is the piece that looked pressed onto the bottom of the flywheel part of that assemble?
3 Is the pin hole in the timing base suppose to be there?
4 After replacing the timing base, does the WOT timing need to be reset.

Unlikely those metal shaving could ever hurt that stator. The magnetic ring at the center of the flywheel has two slots. These two slots are magnetic "North' & "South" magnets that trigger the timing sensors. If your flywheel is the type whereas that ring is epoxied to the flywheel and it has a melted appearance... you need a new flywheel. As it stands that magnetic ring is unable to trigger the timing sensors

If on the other hand, that center magnetic ring is actually a complete metal assembly that is actually metal molded into the flywheel, then the flywheel would be okay and something else has failed that has caused the metal filings to collect around the ring.

Questions:
1 - No.
2 - Could go either way. See above explanation.
3 - I've never noticed a pinhole on any engine I've worked on.
4 - No.

thanks it appears to me after futher inspection that the epoxy that is holding the piece to the flywhe el is coming out. . IMG_20130418_182640-1.jpg

Back