Logo

Starter replacement. Honda 250

Winner22

My starter no longer works due to heavy corrosion and I was wondering who has used aftermarket starters for Honda outboards and what your experience is/was. I've come across a few that are about half price ($150+) of the oem starter ($300+). My instincts tell me to get the oem but I would like to save a little bit of cash. The $150 price tag I'd from a company called DB electric and is a direct replacement. Thanks for your input.

Nothing wrong with after market. Why is your starter corroded and where? If you have water getting into the flywheel housing you have a much bigger problem than just replacing a starter.

The wire from the solenoid to the starter was not well insulated bare copper wire and is now green and black. Besides that the contacts and nuts are in need of replacement due to rust. However, there is no sign of water intrusion in the flywheel housing that I can see. When I pulled the starter I tested it with a car battery and I didn't even get a spark when I connected the positive to the batt. So I proceeded to take it apart and try to identify what the problem was. The top of the solenoid was in the worst shape with rust throughout the contacts and wire as I said. The surface of the starter that meets the bell housing was clean and looked as it should.

There is a local starter alternator shop that says they rebuild these outboard starters all the time so I'm gonna take this one to them and see what he says.

I rebuild them too, if it's cost effective, the parts are quite expensive and the aftermarket starters are a good option

Back