Logo

Spark tester

hairdresser100

Contributing Member
I found these at my least favorite junk shop and wanted to know what you thought only in terms of damaging the Honda electrical/charging system by using FOUR of them at once? $6/each.

http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-ignition-spark-checker-69014.html
(huge picture below.)

I'm working a spark issue and thought I could buy 4 of these and run them in line between the spark plug and spark plug wire and watch all 4 cylinders at once to see what I learn. I hesitate becasue these don't hook up to an outside 12 volt source like a normal timing light so I'm not sure this extra load (x4) would screw something up.

If it works one could run the boat and watch the lights to indicate if he has spark and if one light is flashing to a different beat. Cool idea....unless I burn up a Honda Part while cruising down the bay!
image_20365.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how your 90 gets spark, but that would never work on my 225. The coil is mounted on top of the plug, so that thing would be impossible to mount. That device appears to depend on a high-voltage charge coming from a remote coil.

Mounting is EZ on the 90.

The 90 gets spark from two coils mounted on the Port side of the outboard.

It does use the high voltage to create the "blink" and that's my issue. Not sure if the Honda system will be messed up by this added load, resistance x4.

If it doesn't mess up the Honda it would be a cool tool.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Honda expert. But that type so spark checker should have no negative effects on any ignition system. The effect would be no more than setting the plug gap a couple of thousandths wider, well within the tolerance allowed.

May tell you less than you expect - as I understand it the coils trigger both attached plugs but as one is on the exhaust cycle it doesn't matter.

Better take a spark plug with you when you buy them, I do not think they will fit the 90 HP spark plug. We use one occasionally for an I/O problem and the spark plug cap is larger.

Just tried one of ours(that we got at Harbor Freight) with the DR7EA and it does not fit.

Mike

Back