Logo

Spare emergency parts

TritonFisher

Contributing Member
I apologize if this has been hashed out before, but could not find it.

Within reason, what spare parts do you carry for your Honda outboard?
Prop?
Fuel filters?
Tstats?
O2 sensor?
Temp sensor?
Key?
Kill switch lanyard?

I wonder how much is overkill, even when having a Seatow/BoatUS available.

Mine is a 40hp Honda Tiller, plus a Honda 2hp kicker

OEM Tool Kit for both engines
Motors come with extra kill switch keys
Fuel filter (Internal & Racor)
Spark plugs (both engines)
Fuel connectors at engine & tank
Prop
Prop Wrench
Metric Wrenches, Vice Grips, Philips + Flathead screw drivers, smaller crescent wrench and needle nose

When I go on my trips to Canada fishing remote I have a larger dry box, that has extra everything from belts, gaskets, etc..

i would carry extra water pump, therm stats, plugs, fuel pump, 02 sensor, oil ,any belts, fuel filters, gear oil , at some point you ill use these anyway!

Hey guys, back up a bit here. I really depends on operating environment. What eneusiis and shagerfs described are items you would carry if traveling from home port and you need to execute repairs once boat is pulled.

There are few repairs you can, or should do, when out in open water. It's both dangerous, and something will likely get dropped overboard. I do carry a sealed tool box with metric wrenches, ratchets, fuses, test probe, bypass wires, voltmeter, etc. But when it comes to spare parts, I only carry a spare prop, thrust washer, flat washer, castle nut, and several SS cotter pins. With help, you can change/replace a prop in open water. It's difficult, because you can't get leverage, and dangerous, you need to tie yourself to the boat, but it can be done, with on board help.

I also carry extra kill switch yokes in case one gets broken from something, or someone banging up against it, which has happened to me several times.

Spark plugs, pliers,socket and ratchet for spark plug, electrical tape, screwdrivers (one of each), variety of fuses, jumper cables, spare spin on fuel filters, SS wire

Back