Logo

Some advice on transom shield replacement and water getting into the bilge

A few months ago I stepped up into a bigger boat, 32 foot with twin 5.7L Mercruisers. Had inspection and out of water survey etc.

The steering pin is corroding and replacement transom shields are on the list of repairs (allowed for in purchase price). I have also noticed some corrosion around the starboard Y pipe where it meets the transom, so they are also on the list to be done when the engine is out for the transom shields (and I imagine some other items once the engine is out).

My mechanic's plan is to do these repairs over winter (I'm in Australia), he doesn't believe they need doing as an emergency job. I have noticed that I take on a bit of water when underway (not when in the pen where she is kept), a small amount, not enough to start the bilge pump but not zero. I can't see signs of active water coming from the Y pipe, I also can't really see all around the transom shields. My mechanic doubts it is the transom shields.

He still thinks its fine to wait a few months and use it in the meantime, unless the water starts getting dramatically worse.

My question is, is this a reasonable option? I guess the other way of putting it is, if the water is coming from the Y pipe or transom shields, will the water slowly get worse or will it go from nothing to a big problem, quickly?

I'm happy to get the work done, but being summer, now is the busy season here and getting her out of the water, parts ordered etc likely means weeks. Waiting 2/3 months would make things much easier.

*Edit - I should say that legs were serviced and bellows inspected when she was out of the water for her inspection. It's unlikely to be the bellows
 
A few months ago I stepped up into a bigger boat, 32 foot with twin 5.7L Mercruisers. Had inspection and out of water survey etc.

The steering pin is corroding and replacement transom shields are on the list of repairs (allowed for in purchase price). I have also noticed some corrosion around the starboard Y pipe where it meets the transom, so they are also on the list to be done when the engine is out for the transom shields (and I imagine some other items once the engine is out).

My mechanic's plan is to do these repairs over winter (I'm in Australia), he doesn't believe they need doing as an emergency job. I have noticed that I take on a bit of water when underway (not when in the pen where she is kept), a small amount, not enough to start the bilge pump but not zero. I can't see signs of active water coming from the Y pipe, I also can't really see all around the transom shields. My mechanic doubts it is the transom shields.

He still thinks its fine to wait a few months and use it in the meantime, unless the water starts getting dramatically worse.

My question is, is this a reasonable option? I guess the other way of putting it is, if the water is coming from the Y pipe or transom shields, will the water slowly get worse or will it go from nothing to a big problem, quickly?

I'm happy to get the work done, but being summer, now is the busy season here and getting her out of the water, parts ordered etc likely means weeks. Waiting 2/3 months would make things much easier.

*Edit - I should say that legs were serviced and bellows inspected when she was out of the water for her inspection. It's unlikely to be the bellows
Hard to say from my keyboard, would trust the mechanic on site unless he is a schnook...

I would check the leak at rest but the engine running. you mention doesnt leak in the slip but leaks underway wonder if it is coming from cooling water. Also check the exhaust connectors on the elbows and down pipes they could be loose or split ...

If you are going to keep the boat I would just get new transom shields and wye pipes while its out. If salt water has been leaking in there it mucks everything up.
 
Shields and Y pipes definitely getting replaced.

Its a good suggestion it could be coming from the cooling water, manifolds and risers were replaced in December. The mechanic has come to double check them too, so unlikely but I'll still have a look.

I trust the mechanic, he is experienced, buys and sells his own boats, and so far has given me great guidance - he's very pragmatic.
 
I am also in Australia & had the misfortune of my Bayliner sinking on its mooring due to corrosion from the steering arm seal in the transom. I had noticed the bilge pump coming on over a number of months when I got onto rear of boat but as the boat is moored in a very, very windy spot over winter I dismissed it. Boat sank overnight after extremely stormy day so obviously the steering seal was exposed constantly to seawater. I had a solar panel & 3 batteries which the bilge pumps drained. If your boat is kept in still water & the seal is not close to the waterline then I would keep an eye on it. I am not sure what you mean by the Y hose. As I had regular maintenance records the insurance company paid out. I might add this seal apparently has caused a number of boats to sink.
 
The y-pipe should be above the water line. If the connecting hoses to the elbows are tight it shouldn't be a source of concern. If you mean the o-ring that seals the y-pipe to the transom, those generally don't leak but if the engine is out and you're in there then you might as well, eh? I think the manual calls for sealant along with the o-ring. The bolts holding it together are hopefully not corrosion-welded in place. My upper arm seal is also a bit pitted on the seal seat but I'm on a trailer so no worries there as long as I keep an eye on it. Dry so far. Last time I had it apart I cleaned it up really well and painted it with POR-15 hoping that would halt further corrosion. I gobbed some RTV in there before installing the seal. Fingers crossed.
 
Back
Top