Logo

Re-assemble Alpha One lower unit...

Iowa Mike

New member
I've got a 1987 Rinker with the 5.0 200 hp chevy V8 and the Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 1 sterndrive. I changed the water pump, impeller, etc and tried to put the stern drive's lower half back on but something's stopping it from going all the way up. It seems like the drive shaft's splines aren't messing up inside. I pull it down a bit and turn the prop just a hair but still no go. I tried this at least 10 times now and I took a break. I can see that the studs are up through their guide holes to where I can see the tops of them. The shifter shaft isn't hanging up either but something's definitely hitting somewhere cause i can feel it. I greased up the driveshaft at the splines and I can see it's hitting but not going in. So, what am I doing wrong or what's the trick to get it all the way on?
 
Drive is in forward, right? So the prop is locked in the counter clockwise direction, and throttle is in full forward position

If all true, recheck the water tube
 
Back
Top