Logo

Prop shaft oil seals 1977 70 hp 70773S model number

dragula

New member
Are the prop shaft oil seals a pain in the neck to remove? I've removed the spring and a rubber seal that seems to be seated in a metal ring. But the metal ring is very stuck and bending. I am using a flat head screw driver to try and pry it out.

racerone: where you at boss I need your guidance LOL
 
You've only begun. There are two of them in there. Got a Dremel? Easiest way is grind a groove in one side of that metal ring, stopping when it is paper thin. Then collapse it and it will fall out.
 
You've only begun. There are two of them in there. Got a Dremel? Easiest way is grind a groove in one side of that metal ring, stopping when it is paper thin. Then collapse it and it will fall out.

No I do not have that. My next move was to buy a seal remover (one of those hookey type hand tools). Its reassuring to know that there are actually two seals...I was beginning to think I was prying off a piece of the bearing housing. Im gonna try and upload some pics to show what exactly what I am looking at.
 
Just popped some out of a V-4 housing.----Same thing as the 3 cylinder.----just takes a hefty screwdriver.------Make sure you place the screwdiver where the web is , as it is stronger there.-----Less likely to damage the bore for the seals.
 
No I do not have that. My next move was to buy a seal remover (one of those hookey type hand tools). Its reassuring to know that there are actually two seals...I was beginning to think I was prying off a piece of the bearing housing. Im gonna try and upload some pics to show what exactly what I am looking at.
IMG-1208250.jpg heres the bearing carrier minus the outward facing seal.
IMG-1212.jpg here is the rubber seal, spring, and an inner ring I pulled off the carrier.
IMG-1210 (1).JPG And here is the new piece. Part number 330137 on the 1977 70 hp 20" transom 70773S
 
my man! my plan of action was to wedge a small screw driver in between where (I think) the two seals meet. no luck so far though.
 
I've got one that will hopefully work. The seal is already starting to bend so it shouldn't be too difficult to wedge in there.
 
Back
Top