Logo

power conversion I/O to O/B

macdaver

Good Morning, (or what ever time you r reading this). I had posted a while ago on trying to remove my AQ140, frozen shaft. I finally bought a hand grinder and cut through the u-joint. After tear down found that the knocking noise was not a rod bearing but burnt exhaust valve.
Cylinders are corroded exhaust manifold cracked , head shot, etc. I am looking to plug the hole and install a bracket and go with an outboard. I am looking for a local company
in the Seattle/Tacoma area of washing state. Any body know where to go?
Thanks, Dave
79 18' Bayliner Admiralty cuddy

While an O/B may weigh less than an I/O engine/drive....., we must consider the cantilever effect of an O/B.
If this hull was OEM available with an O/B, then sure...... why not?

However, and IMO, you'd be better off to replace the tried and proven OHC AQ 140 with like, or similar Volvo Penta OHC engine.
Find a donor boat with soft wood cores, but with good running gear.
Repair the PDS and bearing.
Refurbish the tried and proven AQ series drive..... probably won't need more than a re-seal.

It doesn't get too much better that this, in this year range!
Those are great little engines and drives.

It may actually be more trouble to do the bracket/outboard thing than to put in another (maybe different) stern drive. If the boat came from the factory as a "stern drive only" then in all likelihood the transom is going to be too flimsy and not properly tied into the stringers to let you get away with a simple bolt it on and go type of deal.
I would question whether to proceed at all with this boat. From what you say, it would seem that it is more or less worthless other than the remains of the hull. Better put your hard earned money into something that's ready to roll.

A couple of schools of thought here, if I may:
  1. Hard to go wrong with the OHC 4 Volvo Penta and drive... even this older one.
  2. If the boat eventually takes a dump..... move engine/drive to another hull.
  3. Boats are rarely investments.... build it/use it up in the form of enjoyment!
If initially willing to infill the transom, and suspend an O/B...... then this would be a cake walk. :D

Back