Logo

Paint Buffer Zone Around Trim Tabs And Thru Hulls?

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I realize this question is a bit odd for this forum. However the level of knowledge and experience here is second to none. I'm curious as to whether or not a bottom paint buffer zone like the space around the drive we leave unpainted, should be utilized around the trim tabs and thru hulls on boats with copper based antifouling that are kept in salt water? I would think yes but I can't recall ever seeing it done.

Thanks.
Jon Allen

Salt water moored, and copper based anti-fouling bottom paint????? Absolutely NO Contact!
Most will recommend at minimum 1".... some recommend 1-1/2" unpainted perimeter for conductive bottom paints.

I have a beautiful 28 ft SDN F/B boat here right now for a transom shield and drive replacement.
It appears that at one time bottom paint was applied right up next to the transom shield.... (removed later by someone).
The shield suffered severe corrosion damage, and the supension fork completely failed.

If the bottom paint is conductive (as is the copper stuff), it will cause severe damage to your metal components.

The anti-fouling paints for TT's, struts and out drives are non-conductive.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the timely response. I am still confused as to why we permit copper based antifouling to contact underwater metals other than the drive regardless of what non copper protective coating which has or will be applied to them. After all we do leave a space around the drive which the manufacturer paints with a non copper paint. Why would a thru hull or trim tab be treated any differently?

Thanks,
Jon Allen

Jon, the same principle applies to all metal components.
NO COPPER Based Anti-Fouling paints (or any conductive anti-fouling paints) should touch any metal components... period!
You'll want to maintain the 1" to 1-1/2" unpainted perimeter.

I think tabs are Stainless and it won't bother them as much as the aluminum in drives.
I know they paint struts and shafts with the stuff and it doesn't seem to bother them.
Like the other say leave a space around them.Then use a non conductive paint.
I like to add any hot oil such as hobanero oil,the hotter the better.I also used the Hot Bottom paints and had real good results.
Adding black pepper to it will help too.
I worked at a yard who used cheap paint if the customer didn't supply his own.He would add the hot oils or pepper and it worked great.

1..... I think tabs are Stainless and it won't bother them as much as the aluminum in drives.
I know they paint struts and shafts with the stuff and it doesn't seem to bother them.

2..... Like the other say leave a space around them. Then use a non conductive paint.
1..... Jerry, I hate to have conflicts with anyone here.... but I think we are in disagreement on this one.
SS or Aluminum, conductive anti-fouling paints should never come in near contact with either.

2...... Not following you on this one......... but if you mean Non-Conductive anti-fouling paints on rudders, struts, drives, etc. , yes.... I agree.

Conductive or Non-Conductive (depends on location/water) on the hulll.
Specific non-conductive on rudders, struts, drives, etc.
Each are specific to their usage (SS, Bronze, Aluminum).

Hi,
Thanks to all. I now have a better understanding and will inform my pals and customers of the correct way to protect underwater metals.

Jon Allen

Back