Logo

Old but young pair of 225's - what to replace / service?

Rtant

Hi Guys, I’m new here this is my first post so hope it’s ok.
I have a pair of honda 225’s 2006 build (but effected by Service Bulletin 70!).
I bought them 10 years ago with only 20hrs on them. They were winterized and stored. I finally got a hull last year and so in the process of rigging the boat (a 29 foot stepped RIB). Crazy but true….

Been reading bits and pieces on this forum over the past few months and am rather disappointed with Honda, corrosion where the port flush doesn’t reach, reading about SB70 and 56! Why didn’t Honda tell me about these design mistakes – too late now I guess for them to sort. Perhaps I should have followed the pack and gone with Mercury Verado’s….

Any way they have just been serviced and one started first time (amazing) the other took a few attempts (still amazing)! The boat should be ready for the sea in 2-3 months.

I also want to ask about maintenance and running in but I’ll do that under another post.

So the purpose of this post is to check what you would do regarding replacing parts – etc – bearing in mind they work with no faults (yet) they are just 10 years old but new, below is what I’m planning and have gained from this forum:

What I am planning to do: your opinion would be great (BTW I’m based in the UK but the boat will eventually go to a Greek island where good servicing is more tricky to find so I’m going for belt and braces now):

• Engine Oil (obviously).

• Gear Box Oil.

• Cam Belt (and check pullies for corrosion).

• Check thermostats (may just replace?) and check corrosion.

• Change high and low pressure filters (already done).

• Remove and check plugs – use non binding greece.

• Change water pump and check midshaft bearing.

• What are the views about service bulletin 70 – should I do – can anyone send it to me so I can double check the height is ok please? (pretty sure this hasn’t been done to my engines – is there anyway to check?)

• Also service bulletin 56 should I do and change the oxygen sensors – if I do I think I also need a new ecu (I assume these haven’t been done again anyway to check?). What do you think?
Thanks
Richard

Richard, sounds good. I have the same motors. Right before I purchased them the owner had a major rebuild at 900 hours. Since then, just little odds and ends. For maintenance I think you covered everything. Might want to pull starters off and just do a quick visual. I spray mine with silicone spray to keep corrosion off. I also had them rebuilt last year. My guess is you will have to run them and see what issues arise. Make sure you lube and grease everything. Also, you may want to check the screen between the HP filter and fuel rail. Some have had issues. Also, draining the VST appears to be general maintenance as well.

I replied to your private e-mail just a while ago.

The BF 225 is a very good engine, and if maintained properly will give you many, many hours of smooth operation.

As I said in that e-mail, invest in the Official Helm Shop manual for the 225. It's about $116 USD on Amazon or eBay. Chapter 3 - detailed maintenance procedure - is worth it's weight in gold and will save you a lot of dough. Chapter 5 - diagnostics - is not organized as well as it could be, but leads you through diagnosing about any problem you may come across.

I sent you the procedure to pull fault codes. That will help you immensely in diagnosing any problems.

I doubt if you will need to change the cam belt. Maybe after 1500 hours or so, that might be prudent. I just had mine changed at just under 2000 hours, and the shop said it was still OK.

My understanding is that if you perform SB #56, then SB #70 is not likely to be an issue. Just as a reference, by single BF 225 is a 2007 build (SN BAGJ-1500767) came with the revised exhaust tubes, but the older style HO2 sensor. I have not had a problem with the HO2 sensor in 1,952 hours of operation.

If your HO2 sensors are not giving you a fault, then I would recommend holding off on replacing. I assume that your SN's put you in the A6 or AKO model range. If so, and you do experience an HO2 fault, then SB # 70 says that you will need to install the modified HO2 sensor and the modified ECU.

Other items:

* Be sure to do a good grease job on all of the zerk fittings and the throttle cable cam wheels.
* Remove prop and put new grease on the splines.
* Just for grins, drain the VST simply to make sure the drain screw is not binding. Plus it will make you familiar with the procedure.
* Religiously change the oil AND filter every 100 hours.

Back