Logo

Oil leak on top of motor

Can anyone tell me what the round plug with a square hole in it is on top of the motor and if it can be replaced? It looks like it is leaking oil around it. BF50A
 
IMG_6367.jpeg
 
Do you think it might be this?

I couldn't find anything in the parts catalog so I don't think that it's meant to be serviceable.

If you were to try to unscrew it and it's glued in then you could risk cracking your block.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20241021_094917_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241021_094917_Samsung Internet.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 45
If you do decide to try unscrewing it to get the leak stopped, you might want to try applying some heat. If they used Loc-Tite to secure it, that might free it up. That is, of course, if that's all metal there and not plastic. I can't tell from the pictures.

Also, I would first suggest using a heat gun on the high setting....at least at first.

I would try and avoid using flame if possible. If more heat than a good heat gun can provide is needed, you may want to first try a butane style soldering tool with the tip removed before going with a torch.

Another thought is that you might spray the leaking area with carb spray or contact cleaner and let dry. Then, maybe, you could get some good two part epoxy to hold and stop the leak that way. It might be safer than disturbing the plug at all.

Just some ideas.

Hopefully someone else here will have a better answer for you.

Please update if you find a solution.

Good luck.
 
Do you think it might be this?

I couldn't find anything in the parts catalog so I don't think that it's meant to be serviceable.

If you were to try to unscrew it and it's glued in then you could risk cracking your block.
Yes that is it exactly. I couldn’t find anything on the parts list either. That’s why I posted here.
 
That plug looks like an oil gallery plug ?, which I would expect is threaded & either sealed with an aluminium washer or locktite thread sealer
 
That plug looks like an oil gallery plug ?, which I would expect is threaded & either sealed with an aluminium washer or locktite thread sealer
Right!! That’s what I thought as well. I just dont understand why you can’t purchase it. Ive even been to a couple different dealers and it’s not on any parts list. If it is removable I would think you could buy one. I’m just afraid to put a bunch of torque on it to try and get it out until I get confirmation that it does indeed come out. Lol
 
These blocks started life in autos, would you get any hints from looking at this area in the appropriate car block?
 
4 cylinders did, maybe not a 50hp, didn’t see I was talking about a 50. My 1999 130 was used in the accord and other autos, I just bought a pcv for it from the car dealer.
 
If you do decide to try unscrewing it to get the leak stopped, you might want to try applying some heat. If they used Loc-Tite to secure it, that might free it up. That is, of course, if that's all metal there and not plastic. I can't tell from the pictures.

Also, I would first suggest using a heat gun on the high setting....at least at first.

I would try and avoid using flame if possible. If more heat than a good heat gun can provide is needed, you may want to first try a butane style soldering tool with the tip removed before going with a torch.

Another thought is that you might spray the leaking area with carb spray or contact cleaner and let dry. Then, maybe, you could get some good two part epoxy to hold and stop the leak that way. It might be safer than disturbing the plug at all.

Just some ideas.

Hopefully someone else here will have a better answer for you.

Please update if you find a solution.

Good luck.
So Ive tried everything I knew to get this plug removed without cracking the crank case. I think it’s factory glued in and that’s why Honda doesn’t have it on their parts list. So as a last resort I bought some high heat 2 part epoxy. I ran motor in my drum for 15 minutes in my driveway. NO LEAKS!! The real test will be when I put it under a load in the water, which I hope to do this weekend. I’ll post pics of the repair if it holds after the full throttle test. Thanks so much for the recommendation!! I would have never went that route.
 
Back
Top