Hi All,
I'm rebuilding a 1984 Merc 35 HP with serial number 06491413. We got the new crank and pistons in (0.030 over). I have the SELOC manual for this motor. In the manual, it says this (step 15), "On all models except the Mercury Model 402 (1972-78), 40 (40 hp 1979-83), and 35 hp (1984 & on) only; TEMPORARILY install the upper end cap assembly and the original shim material to allow the crankshaft end play to be checked".
Then on step 16, it describes bottoming out the crankshaft and checking the clearance between the upper cap bearing races and the crank, then adding shims if required.
I find this verbiage very confusing and it doesn't say where the "except" stops, as in, I would expect it to say skip step 16 or give some sort of identifier of where to continue if you have a 1984 35 hp, but it doesn't.
It has a picture showing measuring the end play with a feeler gauge and where to put it, but my end cap looks nothing like the one pictured. Is this saying I do need to mess with crank clearance if I have a 1984 35 hp?
Thanks,
Ed
I'm rebuilding a 1984 Merc 35 HP with serial number 06491413. We got the new crank and pistons in (0.030 over). I have the SELOC manual for this motor. In the manual, it says this (step 15), "On all models except the Mercury Model 402 (1972-78), 40 (40 hp 1979-83), and 35 hp (1984 & on) only; TEMPORARILY install the upper end cap assembly and the original shim material to allow the crankshaft end play to be checked".
Then on step 16, it describes bottoming out the crankshaft and checking the clearance between the upper cap bearing races and the crank, then adding shims if required.
I find this verbiage very confusing and it doesn't say where the "except" stops, as in, I would expect it to say skip step 16 or give some sort of identifier of where to continue if you have a 1984 35 hp, but it doesn't.
It has a picture showing measuring the end play with a feeler gauge and where to put it, but my end cap looks nothing like the one pictured. Is this saying I do need to mess with crank clearance if I have a 1984 35 hp?
Thanks,
Ed

