Logo

No drain plug, engine soaked, dried her out, threw fanbelt - runs now, but slow...

rmtworks

Member
Yep, forgot the drainplug and an hour and a half later, she was listing to one side...about 6" of water in the rear of the boat...engine was soaked up the that level--which means starter I believe.

I removed all of the water, and got the engine running, took her out and threw a fanbelt--lost power steering and alternator use.

Got her back to my dock, and noticed the bilge pump was draining white creamy, steamy liquid. I think this was engine slopping around in water perhaps??

Bilge pumps worked o/t and killed the batteries, so after a long charge I changed the fanbelt, and fired her up this morning. I know I have a slight misalignment on the pulleys, but this was always fine until everything got soaked.

My question are:

1) What would cause the "bogginess" of the engine not getting to plane; bogging down at full throttle? If the fanbelt was thrown again, would the lack of alternator and p/s pump cause the engine to nog down?

2) What do you think the steamy white discharge was? I have not seen that since--could the engine just overheated and heated up the slop in the bilge?

Thanks in advance--going to put on a 3rd belt now, and hopefully get her to the boat ramp.
 
Last edited:
You got water into block and mixed it all up with the oil. What condition is the oil on the dipstick?
It also went into the bellows so pull the drive asap to clean it too and grease everything
 
Remove the outdrive to drain any water, grease the U joints and grease the gimbal bearing and check for water in the drive
 
There was no water in the dipstick...question on removing the outdrive....do you mean remove the upper AND lower? A few weeks ago, I replaced the impeller, re-filled with the lower oil, etc., so I know that's an easy job.....but never touched the upper....

Thanks,

Chris
 
but never touched the upper....

Ayuh,.... It's easier,.... What drive,..??

For the MC-1s, 'n Alpha 1s,...

Shift to Forward, disconnect the trim rams, remove the 6 nuts, 'n pull,....
 
Ah....perhaps a break! It is an Alpha 1. I'll read up on that...probably have to get that H2O outta there quick....would that cause the "bogginess" of the engine?
 
I am still perplexed by this engine bogginess...after I removed all of H2O from the engine compartment/bilge, she ran like a top...fast and otherwise normal until the fan belt (original one that got soaked) was lost. Of course, the power steering was lost--tough to turn right--, and I could not get her up to speed again. Been that way since...but again, after the soaking and removal she ran normal and fast.

Any comments appreciated....
 
[fastjeff]Does the motor seem like it's running on all cylinders?

Yes Jeff--the engine runs great, no missing or anything...atleast that I can tell. It just does not get up to speed under way. When I give it full throttle, it just bogs down.
 
I am still perplexed by this engine bogginess...after I removed all of H2O from the engine compartment/bilge, she ran like a top...

Ayuh,.... My guess is,.... It was boggy, 'cause water is Heavy, 'n it lacked the horsepower to lift the load,...

If it's boggy now, ya most likely got water in the gas,....
 
Could be the water @ 8# per gallon...on the ramp, I think the Edmund Fitzgerald poured out of the drain plug....so, it would not be boggy with water in the bellows, huh? Engine runs strong with no spits or evidence of water in the gas....I brought it to my boat guy to pull the outdrive and check things....I can't do it within the next few days and don't want rust to form. Thanks for your help, bondo. Hey, what are your thoughts on flywheel missing teeth?
 
Depending on boat could have saturated the foam in the hull... that is easy in water, hard out.... does boat sit at it's historic waterline when afloat?
 
I did not notice if it sat lower in the water...probably did. So you are saying that the sluggishness under power was due to being overweight....makes sense.
 
bondo. Hey, what are your thoughts on flywheel missing teeth?

Ayuh,.... Pull the drive,... Pull the motor,....

If the teeth are just chipped on the 1 side,.....
Pull the flywheel, knock the ring gear off, 'n flip it over, heat it up, drop it back on,...

If the teeth are Gone, a new ring gear is $20. to $40.bucks brand new,...
 
If there is any water in the crankcase you'll quickly lose all the babbit from the bearings. Highly recommend that you do several oil changes before any extended running, if it's not already too late...
 
Thanks o2batsea. Did not know what the hell babbit was, but I did a little interesting research and learned something new. Good advise....I'll change the oil asap.
 
...another post got me thinking....there is a high likelihood that the fuel filter was submerged....I got a new one to put on just in case H2O got into that too.
 
Back
Top