Logo

My 2009 BF 150 milky oil update

Mark45636

I started a thread a while back about water in cylinder number four of my 150. I wanted to give an update as of this past weekend. I took it apart and discovered that exhaust port of cylinder #4 had a few holes rotted thru. So I ended up ordering just the head from boats.net. I also found a complete head with rocker arms and camshafts from a place called outboard marine in Seminole Florida. I ended up using the complete head and will eventually get the boats.net put together as a backup head since I have twins and who knows when the other might go. I think we got lucky cause the water in oil started when we were back at the ramp so it didn’t run long that way. Aside from a couple special tools disassembly and reassembly wasn’t that bad. I also have the factory manual so that’s a big help. Cleaned everything up and changed out whatever gaskets we encountered. That was the hard part figuring out what was needed. We flushed the engine 3-4 times with fresh oil to get all the milk out, adjusted the valves etc. I’m no engine mechanic by any means but usually can figure things out. When I took it apart I labeled all the head bolts in the place they came out and also put each components bolts, washers etc into cups and labeled them. That helped a lot as it was weeks from disassembly to reassembly due to work and getting parts. We fired her up and home last weekend and she ran perfect. This past weekend we took her out on the lake for about 3-4 hours of running and trolling and everything seems to be good so far. Hopefully it is fixed up now. Will update if there’s any issues. Thanks all for your help from this forum.

Tight lines.

Mark

Mark,
Good news!

Thank you for taking the time to post what could be a very helpful post for others.

If you oil and shrink wrap your "spare" head after assembly, that is an effective way of keeping it stored and protected for years.

Happy boating.

For those following later, I consider myself a fairly skilled mechanic, but wouldn't even consider trying a job like this without the factory manual in hand.....

Nice to hear things worked out well for you! -Al

Mark,
Good news!

Thank you for taking the time to post what could be a very helpful post for others.

If you oil and shrink wrap your "spare" head after assembly, that is an effective way of keeping it stored and protected for years.

Happy boating.
That’s a great idea to shrink wrap it. Thanks!

Yes, I have preserved parts, including heads and short blocks with shrink wrap and they come out "fresh" even after 5 years storage. Just as long as the wrap isn't punctured that is.

Good fortune with your Honda.

Just an update. About 12 hours on the new cylinder head and still going ok. No hiccups yet. A lot of slow trolling cause that’s what we do on Lake Erie. I haven’t had it to wide open just yet but close. Lake has been rough every time we go out. Lol

Back