Logo

MSD conversion 71 johnson 125

My pulse pack went out again, everything in the charging system and battery are new and still good. I been reading about the MSD conversion, But the posts I've read never seem to finish. Does Anyone actually have it working, and are there issues. I bought a MSD 6a and it didn't work, after reading posts it because the sensor is a hall effect, So my options are to convert to points or get a stock pulse pack hoping it wont burn up again, By the way the pulse pack would get very hot almost could not touch it. I returned the MSD and ordered the 6al-2 which can use a hall effect sensor for the trigger, Has anyone tried that. If that does work i can still switch to points, and if that doesn't work i can put it in my truck.Thanks.

Just talked with MSD. They said it should work with the sensor in the distributor. I asked about the need to drop the voltage out the coil. He said I don’t need to and it shouldn’t blow the distributor least he never heard about it.

Most of the times the conversion works for a lil while as engine doesn't produce enough volt/amps to drive the unit when battery voltage falls. If I remember that's a 9 amp stator and that at WOT.

Back