Logo

metal in gearbox, backlash in driveshaft, 2004 bf225

thomascw

Dropped boat off at dealer for knocking noise, constant, varies with rpm, neutral or in gear. I thought it was midshaft bushing( replaced last year). Didn't notice noise last year. Dealer sent pic of drain plug, and said a lot of rotational play in driveshaft before engaging (? pinion) gear. I changed lower unit oil last year and don't remember this much metal. Prop spins freely and quietly in neutral. I have lost some confidence in dealer, he said he has to speak with honda about how to proceed. Also he said he prefers to just replace lower unit as opposed to rebuild. Any thoughts?

Thanks, btw the boat is 3 hours from my house, or I would have already just picked it up. I have a big trip planned in a week.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_7611.JPG
    IMG_7611.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 64
The pinion and both gears are ALWAYS engaged.--------THere is always rotational play before the clutchdog starts turning the propshaft.

The pinion and both gears are ALWAYS engaged.--------THere is always rotational play before the clutchdog starts turning the propshaft.

Gotcha, I was just looking at video of how a lower unit gearbox works. Looking at the top photo, it appears the seal on the screw may be broken. Honda shop said grease was dirty, but didn't mention milky. When i drained it last year it looked like new. I replaced it with high dollar mercury gear lube. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I ran the boat for 3 days with it making that thumping noise. But in my defense, the lower unit was supposed to be pressure tested before I left for the coast( local non honda dealer). I don't think it was done because I wasn't charged. I still think the knock is coming from the vertical shaft bushing. I'm tempted to have them lube the shaft bushing and refill it with grease and run it. My only concern is that we run 30 miles from the marina some days. I guess the prop spinning quietly doesn't prove much about the lower unit condition?

Thanks

No offense taken. I did. The only parts i might have done wrong were 1) not getting new seals( impatient). 2) not tilting motor a bit to drain every drop ( ignorant). How would you proceed? Dealer seems as reluctant to inspect gearbox as i am.

Many dealers are now reluctant to tackle these jobs.---------Needs a trained mechanic.-----------And most folks will howl when they see the repair bill on those !------A manual and do it yourself is an option.-----Rebuilt gearcases are available too.------My self I would take it apart for a look see.

Many dealers are now reluctant to tackle these jobs.---------Needs a trained mechanic.-----------And most folks will howl when they see the repair bill on those !------A manual and do it yourself is an option.-----Rebuilt gearcases are available too.------My self I would take it apart for a look see.

I may do one or two of those things. I've found a rebuilt one on my route ( ish) on the way to the coast. The good part is, it's really close to my sisters house. My brother in law is quite handy.

Thanks again
Tom

I hope it doesn't sound like this...
My lower unit destroyed itself within an hour's use of taking this video, destroyed the gears and snapped the driveshaft!
No idea of the cause - it had been serviced by a highly recommended company about two weeks before.

Don't know where you live, but here in the Middle Atlantic states, Atlanta Marine Service has a very good reputation for their lower unit rebuilds. They are in Yorktown, VA. I believe they ship anywhere in the US. They specialize in Honda. You might want to give them a call and see what a rebuilt lower will cost and use that as a reference price for determining whether to have someone do the rebuild locally, try it yourself, or get a replacement. They provide a one year warranty on all of their rebuilds. http://www.atlanticmarineva.com/

I hope it doesn't sound like this...
My lower unit destroyed itself within an hour's use of taking this video, destroyed the gears and snapped the driveshaft!
No idea of the cause - it had been serviced by a highly recommended company about two weeks before.

As a matter of fact, i think it sounds exactly like that. Guess I'm not going to refill and run again. Got lucky before, I guess.

Thanks

Don't know where you live, but here in the Middle Atlantic states, Atlanta Marine Service has a very good reputation for their lower unit rebuilds. They are in Yorktown, VA. I believe they ship anywhere in the US. They specialize in Honda. You might want to give them a call and see what a rebuilt lower will cost and use that as a reference price for determining whether to have someone do the rebuild locally, try it yourself, or get a replacement. They provide a one year warranty on all of their rebuilds. http://www.atlanticmarineva.com/

I saw them​ online, tried to call Sat afternoon ,as a matter of fact. I've got a bid on one on eBay that ends today. If i don't get that one, I'll call them Monday am

Thanks again

Roger that. Keep us posted. Those were truly ugly pictures. I would be interesting to know why that happened.

Over the years there have been very few posts about failing lower units on the 200/225 on this forum. That seem to be built very tough. I have just short of 2000 hours on my 2007 and no problems whatsoever. I do change lower unit oil every 200 hours.

Tom I'd be pulling that lower unit right now and replacing it with another one to keep you on the water. You can then be looking at opening it up yourself to see what's happening.
If it eats itself it may do irripairable damage internally as well as leaving you stranded as I was. Luckily there was a fishing boat a mile away which pulled in after I called them on the VHF.
Ours was overheating massively as well and you could smell the burnt gear oil - dealer said it stank when they opened it up.

A dealer rebuild will cost as much as a new factory unit but with less confidence of a fix.

Chawk, yeah I have no idea what happened. I only had 6 full fishing days before i heard the noise. I suspect it got contaminated somehow, not sure why it wasn't milky though. Surely replacing the vertical shaft bushing wouldn't put any extra stress on the gears? The lower unit went back on easily.

Metal-chicken, I got the remanufactured one on eBay for $1500. Taking a chance, but I'll get my old one rebuilt and have a backup. What grease were you using?

One last thing, the lower unit i bought has a 2006 up lower shift shaft in it. The ad says it's an easy swap. How hard is it really? I'll have to pull my old one and replace

No idea what oil was in there as we entrusted some marine engineers to do the work. I've gone with the merc stuff now as it seems to be the most highly regarded.

Dealer got me a good price on factory lower unit, took it. The eBay seller was very understanding, let me cancel. I'll still tear down old one.

Just speculation, and a question. My old lower unit is 3 hours away at the moment. How does the exhaust pass through the lower unit into the prop hub? There must be channels​ from the power head all the way down. Where I live, and have kept my boat ( Arkansas), we have tons of mud daubers. If the exhaust channels were obstructed, could that cause the gearcase to overheat?

Btw, metal- chicken, where is your video filmed? I'm pretty sure my boat will never see water that pretty. Don't get me wrong, we catch fish in​ south Louisiana, but " clean" water is a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
North Wales Tom - here to be exact! No mud daubers where we are [so no blocked exhaust]!

Mud daubers are a scourge, so you are lucky. I actually looked up Abersoch, beautiful place. I could see myself visiting someday. My father's heritage is Welsh, my mother's Hungarian. I'd like to visit both places someday.

Back