Logo

Mercury Optimax 150 hp gives alarm after +/- 5 min idle

Bob123

New member
Hi!
I got 2 mercury Optimax engines 2004 and I got a problem with 1 engine. When I start the engine everything is fine buth after 5-10 minute idle the engine gives a steady alarm. When I give a little gas it’s goes away. Also when I stop the engine and start again the alarm comes again in 5 minutes.

I checked the thermostats, and oil tank is new, switched oil pump from other engine buth still the same problem. Anybody a idea?
 
Last edited:
When the inpeller been changed?? Have you checked the water line and fittings to air compressor? Have you checked the strainer on midsection?
 
Hi! If checked the strainer and all the hoses and stuff. Strainer whas pretty full buth still the alarm after cleaning. Hoses are all clean. I noticed that the air compressor makes the “glokglokglok” sound so that’s bad. Can that make the alarm after 5 minutes? Not enough air or something? And when I stop the engine and start again I need to wait like 5 minutes ago. So I don’t think it’s a cooling problem. The alarm is only under 1100 rpm. And when alarm goes on I give gas and than it’s away. Someone an idea��? Thanks!
 
Its a cooling problem...disconnet the temp wires off air compressor and see if it still alarms .If no alarm water flow thru compresso is impeded or compressor is overheating due to a mechanical problem.
 
Its a cooling problem...disconnet the temp wires off air compressor and see if it still alarms .If no alarm water flow thru compresso is impeded or compressor is overheating due to a mechanical problem.

hi! Do you mean the 2 temperature senders on each head? Or the 3 wires of the air compressor? If I disconnect all of them the alarm is still ringing.
 
The voltage also stays good no drops buth if the air compressor is broken doesn’t he give a alarm? Maybe not enough air or something?

Negative, if the compressor had a problem with making compressed air the engine would shut down instantly. The “glokglokglok” sound is normal.

Find someone to scan the engine. You will know what the issue is right away. You may just have a bad water pressure sensor or your pump is weak.
 
Negative, if the compressor had a problem with making compressed air the engine would shut down instantly. The “glokglokglok” sound is normal.

Find someone to scan the engine. You will know what the issue is right away. You may just have a bad water pressure sensor or your pump is weak.

oké thx for your help. I let u know when it’s fixed!
 
Back
Top