Logo

Mercury 9.9 Fourstroke Starting Problem

goggleeye

Motor(2006) had been sitting idle for about 2.5 years....fixed water pump and got it on the water...started fairly easily(not electric)...motor ran very very slow...about like a trolling motor...reached fishing spot and fished for about 1.5 hours..started it up, put in reverse and backed up a short distance...went dead and hasn't started since...plugs have not been changed, as they looked good.Looking for hrlp...of course ! Thanks.

Was the engine run dry of gas when it was put away 2.5 yrs. ago? If not, carb may be gummed up from old fuel turning to varnish then the liquid evaporated leaving the crud in the carb. Fill the carb with SEAFOAM and let it sit for 2 days then run it...she'll smoke like a volcano until it burns off the SeaFoam.

Use a turkey baster or large syringe and squirt it in thru the fuel line connection after you dump the old out of it.

Got it running...started on first pull....ran great as I stayed near the boat ramp...ran it for about 10 minutes...stopped and fished for about an hour...would not start..when primed,would start but only stay for a few seconds...noticed the top of my gas tank with the air knob had come off..?...got it home and squeezed the bulb and gas came out of the hose that drains into plastic bottom cover...I assumed this was bad...thanks for listening...these problems started after I took it to a repairman to fix a water pump...paid him $287 for nothing...I fixed it myself with help from U-tube(just needed to replace impeller}...I am very determined to get back on the water...thanks for all your help..I am gaining confidence.

Seafoam or any other product will NOT clean a stopped up jet, it has to be able to flow thru jet/orifice that needs cleaning.

Sometimes the Seafoam method works but not in your case as faztbullet stated...time to take the carb apart and give it a good soak cleaning overnight. If you have access to a ultrasonic cleaner it will do great job loosening hardened debris in the idle circuits. Probing the tiny holes with a small length of copper wire will help with stubborn dirt. Carb cleaner with a straw helps you see if the passages are open. Blow dry w/compressed air.

Cleaned carbereuter ...got it started and had it on the river about 6 times...running good I would say...thanks for all the help everyone..the last time I was on the water when I would slow down quickly, the motor would stop...one pull would start it again and off I went..also when first arriving at the water and starting, I would have to put it in gear with the choke still on, but not the rest of the day....I took the cowl off yesterday and tried to start it...after pumping bulb on tank noticed gas dripping from bowl...when started, gas would still come from the overflow tube on top...motor would not stay running..I did not notice the leaking after I cleaned the carbeuretor about a month ago..the leaking does not seem to be a problem when I start it without the tank...again, any help much appreciated...thank you

Back