Logo

Mercury 4hp 2003 fuel pump?

merc200dalarna

Contributing Member
Motor won't stay running more than 10 seconds.

Mercury four stroke 2003, 4hp, european sold, Serial nr: 0P228224 (Barely readable on sticker and block sticker)

Cleaned the carb and checked float and needle. Pull start got on my nerves, so I used my cordless drill.
It starts after I have primed it with the bulb on an external tank. Runs and responds to throttle for some time, then dies.
(Cannot be restarted unless I prime with bulb)

Will open the fuel pump tomorrow, but it seems I can only buy a whole 'fuel pump assy' and not gaskets/diphragm for the 2003 model?
Does any other (newer) pump fit, or where can I buy just the diaphragm or gasket set?

From Sweden.

Update: The fuel pump looked exactly like the one I have on my 2016 Tohatsu, so I bolted it on, and it runs and starts like a charm.

This older motor will need some updates, as I can see it has been tinkered with, missing gaskets and what not.
(carb was mounted with a single gasket and the plastic distance on the wrong side of the carb, air inlet side)
The tank on these are are sensitive to pump issues, since it is an 'uphill' from the tank to the carb.

have the same problem on my 9.9 triec new diaphrams checked for sir leakl cleaned carb. does your fuel pump have check valves in it I tried using a body eith them but the vacume did not seem to be enough to open the check valves
Need help from someone way smarter than me
GOD is GOOD

Back