Bit of Background
Early this year (2025) I bought a second hand Maxum 1800 SR3 with 4.3L Mercruiser in visibly reasonable condition, some service history, lots of documentation and many of the larger items recently done - invoices for bellows, risers, etc. It took a couple of attempts to start and ran on a water hook-up ok when purchased, but I was unable to fully water test it. My family has always been in to boats, although this is our first inboard. My skillset is fairly competent DIY level.
Engine Specs
Mercruiser Inboard
MCM 4.3L V6 (190M C/Al)
Carb Type
Thunderbolt V Ignition
1996 (approx, I can find if important)
The Issue
After purchase, I had the engine running again on a water hook-up at home and then began spending time servicing the trailer. Two months later, with no changes made to the engine, I thought I would give it one final check (on the water hook up again), before taking it for a full water test and I am glad I did.
It had power at the ignition, but wouldn’t crank. Just clicked and the dash went dead, repeated this several times. At first I thought it was the 50 amp breaker, as that looked old and was mentioned in other posts i'd read (£70 now replaced). Long story short, it was the battery isolator (£5 now replaced) corroded at the back not allowing enough battery +power (I had cleaned the negative side a lot).
Now she cranks, has good sparks (at all 6 plugs), fuel at the carb, but wont start up.
Professional Works Completed on the Ignition side Prior to my Ownership
As per invoices, all the above was done in 2023, as was other servicing - filters, oils, etc, without the boat having much use since.
Tests / Working
My Thoughts
I have read timing could be an issue, but I can’t see how the timing could be affected with no mechanical alterations to the engine?
With all spark plugs firing OK I would think this should rule out the following being issues: throttle deadman switch, ignition sensor in the distributor, or the ICM; suggested in other posts (but please correct me on this if my thinking is wrong here)?
Spark plugs were slightly wet with fuel when checking them one by one (I would expect this as repeatedly turning over without being run up in order to view the spark).
I did look up the model number of the Starter motor, which said it was for a 3.0L, but some are suitable for the 4.3L and seeing as it started before, i’m keeping an open mind on that?
I’ve read about compression issues, but can’t see how this could change in two months. However, if this is a real possibility then I can look to do a compression test. I probably should do one anyway for peace of mind.
All i can think of next is to replace the Water Separator and add some fresh Fuel to the tank. I was tempted to drain the old fuel, but all the pipework is bonded/sealed as well as clamped - if there's a cheat way to do this I'm all ears lol.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to water test it and winterise it before winter gets here.
Thanks
JP
Early this year (2025) I bought a second hand Maxum 1800 SR3 with 4.3L Mercruiser in visibly reasonable condition, some service history, lots of documentation and many of the larger items recently done - invoices for bellows, risers, etc. It took a couple of attempts to start and ran on a water hook-up ok when purchased, but I was unable to fully water test it. My family has always been in to boats, although this is our first inboard. My skillset is fairly competent DIY level.
Engine Specs
Mercruiser Inboard
MCM 4.3L V6 (190M C/Al)
Carb Type
Thunderbolt V Ignition
1996 (approx, I can find if important)
The Issue
After purchase, I had the engine running again on a water hook-up at home and then began spending time servicing the trailer. Two months later, with no changes made to the engine, I thought I would give it one final check (on the water hook up again), before taking it for a full water test and I am glad I did.
It had power at the ignition, but wouldn’t crank. Just clicked and the dash went dead, repeated this several times. At first I thought it was the 50 amp breaker, as that looked old and was mentioned in other posts i'd read (£70 now replaced). Long story short, it was the battery isolator (£5 now replaced) corroded at the back not allowing enough battery +power (I had cleaned the negative side a lot).
Now she cranks, has good sparks (at all 6 plugs), fuel at the carb, but wont start up.
Professional Works Completed on the Ignition side Prior to my Ownership
- New Carb
- Distributor Cap
- HT Leads
- Spark Plugs
As per invoices, all the above was done in 2023, as was other servicing - filters, oils, etc, without the boat having much use since.
Tests / Working
- Cleaned All terminals (Relays, Starter, Battery, main Earths, etc)
- Throttle Deadman in RUN position
- Fuzes (Checked All I Can Find and OK)
- Battery has 12.9V (& my Test Only Spare has 12.8V)
- 12V at the + on Coil
- Spark Plugs All 6 had good sharp flashes
- HT leads have ever only been removed one-by-one since last running
- Carb - Fuel at the Carb (possibly enough to flood it, but repeated over several days with no progress. Carb Float was in down position as I believe is correct)
- Fuel Tank is 1/4 full, shouldn’t be too old and would have been winterised (according to paperwork).
My Thoughts
I have read timing could be an issue, but I can’t see how the timing could be affected with no mechanical alterations to the engine?
With all spark plugs firing OK I would think this should rule out the following being issues: throttle deadman switch, ignition sensor in the distributor, or the ICM; suggested in other posts (but please correct me on this if my thinking is wrong here)?
Spark plugs were slightly wet with fuel when checking them one by one (I would expect this as repeatedly turning over without being run up in order to view the spark).
I did look up the model number of the Starter motor, which said it was for a 3.0L, but some are suitable for the 4.3L and seeing as it started before, i’m keeping an open mind on that?
I’ve read about compression issues, but can’t see how this could change in two months. However, if this is a real possibility then I can look to do a compression test. I probably should do one anyway for peace of mind.
All i can think of next is to replace the Water Separator and add some fresh Fuel to the tank. I was tempted to drain the old fuel, but all the pipework is bonded/sealed as well as clamped - if there's a cheat way to do this I'm all ears lol.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to water test it and winterise it before winter gets here.
Thanks
JP

