Logo

"Medium term" storage

TritonFisher

Contributing Member
Hello all,

I will not be using my boat (honda bf150) between late August and late September, but plan on using it for fall fishing. Trying to plan ahead now, but what measures are recommended for "putting it away for the month? My initial plans are:
1. Drain racor, clean and refit.
2. Saltaway flush.
3. Anti corrosive spray for the engine.
4. I always use yamalube/ringfree with my Honda, so I am torn between filling or emptying the tank.

As always, any advice appreciated!

All that sounds right. I would only add to drain the VST. You should do those things periodically anyway. Usually, a month of non use is not an issue. Just make sure that your fuel has a stabilizer in it - Sta-Bil Marine, Startron, or similar. Don't think the Ring Free has a stabilizer. Could be wrong about that.

Wouldn't worry about level of fuel in the tank for just a month. However, just as a matter of course, I try to top off the fuel tank whenever I know the boat will be sitting for a while.

All that sounds right. I would only add to drain the VST. You should do those things periodically anyway. Usually, a month of non use is not an issue. Just make sure that your fuel has a stabilizer in it - Sta-Bil Marine, Startron, or similar. Don't think the Ring Free has a stabilizer. Could be wrong about that.

Wouldn't worry about level of fuel in the tank for just a month. However, just as a matter of course, I try to top off the fuel tank whenever I know the boat will be sitting for a while.

Perfect. I forgot about the vst. I may check the poppit while I am in that general area as well. Thanks for the help!!

Good point. However, our auto fuel systems are "closed", therefore making them less affected by temperature changes and condensation. Additionally, a typical auto engine is run in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range for most of its life, whereas the marine outboard engine is typically run at 4000 rpm and above for most of it's life.

Again, just my two cents worth.

Back