Logo

Mariner 90 hp 4 stroke carburetor from 2000, maximum rpm problem

BetaGod

New member
Good morning everyone, I have a Mariner 90hp outboard with carburettors from 2000 (if I'm not mistaken the same as the 100hp Yamaha), which in practice no longer takes all the revs it should take... last season with the same set up I got 35 knots ( at around 5000 rpm) with two people on board while now 25 (at around 4000 rpm) with only one person on board!
The engine has new engine oil and crankcase oil, new impeller, the hull is clean (I keep it dry and I only take it out when I go out), carburators have been cleaned a couple of weeks ago (thinking that this was the problem), various petrol filters all new and new spark plugs.. the coils were even replaced thinking in a faulty coil..! None of this had any effect...
the boat obviously did not take on any water and the propeller was not changed)
Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

PS: aside from the fact that it can't go above 4000/4100 rpm, otherwise the engine is perfectly smooth, it doesn't mumble, it doesn't shut off, it starts right away and has no sudden drops in power!
thanks to anyone who can help me!
 
sparks are a bit white too..all of them
 

Attachments

  • 11be733c-f969-4de5-bdbb-1234efb271ba.jpg
    11be733c-f969-4de5-bdbb-1234efb271ba.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 61
How does it run at 4200? Do rpms fall after a while? It doesnt stutter?
What about timming?
Fuel pump provides enough fuel?
 
at 4000/4200 it run fine.. no fall after a while and dosent shutter.. timing seems to be ok (the mechanic says this) and mechanic says is not a fual pump related problem... no idea.. i'm thinking about a some problem in the carburator or in the CDI
 
i tested compression...
1° cylinder 112 PSI
2° cylinder 112 PSI
3° cylinder 120 PSI
4°cylinder125 PSI

i think not bad for a 24yr old motor! Any suggest?
 
Back
Top