Logo

Lower unit change

There are 3 different lower units used on the 48 HP ( not really anything special ) motors.----Up to the 88 models.--------Then from 89 to 92.-----Then from 93 to end of production.------In my opinion none are robust !!

Sorry---You are miss-informed.-----The 93 and newer models had a bigger spline on the top of the driveshaft.-----Other than that there was no difference , and the rest was the same as the 89 to 92 models.----This is why the---- " commercial "---- 2 cylinder motors had a hybrid 3 cylinder gearcase !!!!

Sorry---You are miss-informed.-----The 93 and newer models had a bigger spline on the top of the driveshaft.-----Other than that there was no difference , and the rest was the same as the 89 to 92 models.----This is why the---- " commercial "---- 2 cylinder motors had a hybrid 3 cylinder gearcase !!!!

I was talking about the bulkier looking gearcase, on the older models. Are you saying the commercial 40's, that came out with the tiller handle and recoil start, has a different gearcase? I remember when the motor came out, but I don't recall the year. I remember the Johnson had the white cowling and gray leg. OMC made a big deal about the motors being designed for saltwater use. If this is the motor you are talking about, will they interchange with the 95-96 48 SPL?

Also, won't lower units off of 40 & 50 hp, up to 2003, interchange with the 95-96 48 SPL? The 48 is a good motor, but the lower unit has issues.

Are you aware that for say a given year there is no difference between a 48 and a 50 HP motor ?------The " special " 48 HP models did not come with oil injection.-----They were then given a 48 decal.-----Basic marketing 101 I say.----There is NO DIFFERENCE in a 48 lower unit compared to a 50 lower unit for any given year.-----Yes the COMMERCIAL 2 cylinder motors used 70 hp gearcase and gears.-----End of the story.

Good job Racer as lot of misinformation out there in boating world...

thumb.jpg

Just because I ask questions here, does not make me a dumbass. I worked in a boat shop years ago, but moved on and forgot a lot of it. Sorry I have intruded upon your kingship.. You too, fastbullet. From here on out, just ignore my posts.

Chick ---Are you mad because you do not know some of the fine details ???----You can learn a lot if you are a good student.

Chick ---Are you mad because you do not know some of the fine details ???----You can learn a lot if you are a good student.

I don't like smartazzez, as far as learning, I probably forgot more mechanically info than most know. I didn't know my voids in knowledge was going to be so offensive or comical to you, or try your patience. Maybe you need your own website where you can be King Know-it-all.

You know, that gut undoubtedly has good up to date info he can share, but darn it, no one likes the little smart remarks he makes, at any opportunity. Maybe putting people down makes him feel superior. He did this not once, but 3 different times, on 2 different threads I posted on. Totally uncalled for. Doesn't this forum have a moderator?

Last edited:
Back